This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sound sometimes works and sometimes doesn't

Sometimes my sound works and I can listen to my music on amarok. Sometimes, it doesn't. In fact, now it's usually it doesn't. When it isn't working though, I can still hear the logging in/out sounds and opening/closing window sounds. I am running kde4. Is there a way to fix this?

Re: sound sometimes works and sometimes doesn't

Do you have multiple soundcards? Maybe onboard audio and your plugin soundcard are swapping positions on reboot?

If so, either disabling onboard sound in the BIOS, or updating /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base to force their order will resolve your problem. I added the following two lines to the end of mine - you will need to change the module name to match your hardware, of course:

Code:
    options snd-ca0106 index=0
    options snd-intel-hda index=1
    That said, I *have* seen one of my HH systems lose one of its sound cards (also a ca106) every half dozen reboots... rebooting again fixes it. It's not been irritating enough to troubleshoot yet, and I was planning on replacing the card anyway... so I haven't investigated further.

-J
    Specs:  Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (@3Ghz), G.SKILL 4GB DDR2 1066, ASUS Striker II Formula MB, Asus EN9800GTX+ Dark Knight, ABS Tagan BZ800 PS, Antec 900 Case.

Comment

Re: sound sometimes works and sometimes doesn't

ironically enough, i do have 2 sound cards, and that had caused me sound issue with 6.06. I would hear sound just fine with the live cd, but after installation, no. This was because the BIOS was using the onboard sound card first. I disabled that long ago. I think this is an issue of kde not letting go of the sound when it starts up. I would like to know how to make kde let go of the sound if it forgets to, or if there is a fix so i don't have to worry about it anymore.

Comment

Working...
      X