Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unplugged computer, getting black screen. Error->Not starting k display manager.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unplugged computer, getting black screen. Error->Not starting k display manager.

Unplugged computer, now getting black screen.

Before going black, I see the following error during the boot process:

Not starting k display manager

Not sure what this means, but I know it is a driver problem. I need to know how to revert back to the default driver via command line.

This is pretty odd.

I have had 8.04 since it came out and it has functioned just fine until today. I reorganized my desk including unplugging power, NW, UPS. Upon reboot, the display was shifted way to the left. Tweaking the settings in system settings and the monitor seemed to correct the issue for the most part. Upon a reboot, display switched to 800x600. I was going to go get a driver but noticed in the driver manager that it had what appeared to be the right driver. I selected the check box and rebooted and now upon booting have a black screen.

During the boot sequence, I notice the following line:
    Not starting k display manager KDM-KDE4 It is not the default manager

Any ideas how to correct? I would guess I would somehow need to disable the driver via command prompt or enter the GUI in some kind of (sorry) Safe Mode.

Re: Unplugged computer, getting black screen. Error->Not starting k display manager.

I just upgraded today to the latest kernel, and I get the same problem, same message and everything. I started up reverting back to the last working kernel, but how can I fix this?

Comment

Working...
    X