Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hardy desktop not shutting down don't install ATI accelerated drivers.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hardy desktop not shutting down don't install ATI accelerated drivers.

LATEST installing ATI accelerated drivers which invites installation after install at loginl on ATI graphics machines that causes this mess---DON'T DO IT!
    Leave only the original fglrx driver and all is well.
    This is so with my Radeon X300 anyway.
    Cheers
    El Zorro

Hi
    I did a fresh install of Hardy 32 bit final, and now the system from KDE menu will not shutdown reboot or even logout user either, it just blanks the screen, and everything keeps going, requiring either a hardware reset or power down. This was so, with I think Feisty too, and is a real nuisance for an LTS.
    The Heron Betas had no problems with this nor the Heron alphas; so what happened from beta to final I wonder.

The machine is a Desktop with AMD 64 3000+ venice core, 1mb DDR1, Gigabyte triton MB and Nforce 4 chipsets, not an issue previously.
    Any help much appreciated.

Now I must do a root terminal shutdown -h now to shutdown, and shutdown -r now for reboot.
    GUI logout is now useless, a bit disappointing.
    Best
    El Zorro 8)
    It should be as simple as it can be, but not simpler than it should be---Albert Einstein

Re: Hardy not shutting down

Desktop or laptop PC?

I click the K Menu icon and click on Log Out > Log Out > Shutdown > Turn Off
    I'm running a laptop, so this doesn't actually turn off the PC - it performs a system shutdown, at which point I have the option of restarting the system with sudo shutdown -r now (to reboot) or to press the power button to turn the PC off (as the system has been shutdown, this is safe).
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

It is a desktop machine, amd 64 300+ venice core, Gigabyte board with Triton and Nforce 4 chipsets, 1m ddr1, and shut down OK with 32 bit Hardy beta and alpha, but not the final LTS version, just like Feisty used to.
      I wonder what has happened between the betas and the finals to cause this problem.
      Best
      El Zorro 8)
      It should be as simple as it can be, but not simpler than it should be---Albert Einstein

Comment

Thanx snowhog,
        maybe my machine is the only one in the universe that does this, no other comments out there.
        Enough to make one go back to the beta, or use something else.
        Guess I will have to register a bug for developers don't look much at the forums it seems.
        However there must be a fix, something in kdm config files somewhere, but what is it I wonder to fix the GUI?
        Best
        El Zorro

Originally posted by Snowhog
        Desktop or laptop PC?

I click the K Menu icon and click on Log Out > Log Out > Shutdown > Turn Off
        I'm running a laptop, so this doesn't actually turn off the PC - it performs a system shutdown, at which point I have the option of restarting the system with sudo shutdown -r now (to reboot) or to press the power button to turn the PC off (as the system has been shutdown, this is safe).

Comment

I'm experiencing the same problem on my PC as you ElZorro since I did a fresh install of Hardy Heron (64bit). It goes to a black screen and hangs, like it's not powering off. I don't want to have to go to the command line every time I want to shutdown or reboot my system.

Comment

Thanx drowningnixis,
            now I realize I am not the only one in the universe reporting the shutdown, reboot logout user blank screen bug.
            Best
            El Zorro 8)

Originally posted by drowningnixis
            I'm experiencing the same problem on my PC as you ElZorro since I did a fresh install of Hardy Heron (64bit). It goes to a black screen and hangs, like it's not powering off. I don't want to have to go to the command line every time I want to shutdown or reboot my system.

Comment

Re: Hardy desktop not shutting down

ElZorro, did you install the ATI drivers? There's another thread that I was watching and we noticed that all of us with shutdown/reboot problems all had installed the ATI drivers. You can go into the xorg.conf and change fglrx to vesa and it would fix it, but you'll have to suffer through crappy graphics.

Comment

Re: Hardy desktop not shutting down don't install ATI accelerated drivers.

Hi
                I installed 32 bit Kubuntu hardy on a P4 desktop machine with an Nvidia card and all was well, shutdown and all was OK.
                I then, as an experiment booted from this very same drive in my AMD 64 ATI machine, and it booted OK and found all the hardware!
                AMAZING!!!
                Better than any MS operating systems by far!

I was then invited to install the ATI accelerated driver on login, but did not do it as last install, and then shutdown, reboot and logout was fine from the KDE menu.
                So stay away from the accelerated driver in ATI machines until it is fixed.
                Maybe it works with high end latest ATI cards, but not the radeon X300 I have.
                So watch it for now.
                Regards
                El Zorro 8)

Comment

Re: Hardy desktop not shutting down

Thanx drowningnixis
                  I found this out by myself with the experiment above, the standard fglrx drivers work fine, it is the accelerated driver than causes problems.
                  Best
                  El Zorro 8)

Originally posted by drowningnixis
                  ElZorro, did you install the ATI drivers? There's another thread that I was watching and we noticed that all of us with shutdown/reboot problems all had installed the ATI drivers. You can go into the xorg.conf and change fglrx to vesa and it would fix it, but you'll have to suffer through crappy graphics.

Comment

If you are running Kubuntu Hardy with the flgrx drivers and logging out does not work..
                    you need to change in

/etc/ati/authatieventsd.sh

XDM_AUTH_MASK=/var/lib/xdm/authdir/authfiles/A$1*

to:

XDM_AUTH_MASK=/var/run/xauth/A$1*

Comment take from :
                    http://tsdgeos.blogspot.com/2008/04/...on-logout.html
                    Lectura obligatoria
                    Cómo hacer preguntas de manera inteligente.

Comment

Hi,---well----
                      Hardy can take a back seat, in the non-boot until it sorts its driver issues out in a proper fashion.
                      My latest install turned turtle with its drivers and did not even have the decency to give a terminal logon or anything.
                      It just sits there running scripts and going no further, frozen.
                      Maybe when I feel more energetic I may rescue it with good old bootable Knoppix cd, and edit xorg.config.
                      Till then back to gutsy, no LTS but much more good mannered than Hardy so far.
                      Goodnight and good luck
                      El Zorro

Comment

i have the same experience as you, zorro. My computer only shuts down if I push the power button, then it goes through a nice shut down process. Same if i type sudo shutdown -r now. I'm just waiting for the bug fix, so far it isn't too much of an inconvenience.

Comment

Hi
                          Back with Hardy quicker than I thought!

Rescued Hardy with Knoppix 5.1 CD.

Simply copied Gutsy's /etc/X11/xorg.config to a usb flash drive, then booted Knoppix with my zapped Hardy drive.
                          Then opened 2x knoppix root shells (no Sudo stuff necessary here) 2x Konquerors as root "konqueror" command in the shells , opened the sda1/etc/X11/ going to mounted drives,
                          Then opened the usb flash drive, copied the gutsy xorg.config over the top of the hardy /etc/X11/xorg.config and---

Hey presto!! Hardy rebooted with good resolution and it shuts down, logs out, and reboots fine.
                          Good old Knoppix! another save!

Cheers El Zorro

Originally posted by grade12guy
                          i have the same experience as you, zorro. My computer only shuts down if I push the power button, then it goes through a nice shut down process. Same if i type sudo shutdown -r now. I'm just waiting for the bug fix, so far it isn't too much of an inconvenience.

Comment

I have the same problem with kde 4.1 running on a DELL Vostro 1000 64 bits.

Does anybody tried the solution suggest by besembel?

Originally posted by besembel
                            If you are running Kubuntu Hardy with the flgrx drivers and logging out does not work..
                            you need to change in

/etc/ati/authatieventsd.sh

XDM_AUTH_MASK=/var/lib/xdm/authdir/authfiles/A$1*

to:

XDM_AUTH_MASK=/var/run/xauth/A$1*

Comment take from :
                            http://tsdgeos.blogspot.com/2008/04/...on-logout.html
                            As soon as i try it, i come back tell everybody.
                            Kubuntu 15.10 - Asus All-in-one (i3, 4GB ram)

Comment

I tried it, and worked!

Problem solved
                              Kubuntu 15.10 - Asus All-in-one (i3, 4GB ram)

Comment

Working...
                              X