Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone else notice that extra buttons on mice work now!!!?!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone else notice that extra buttons on mice work now!!!?!

I just realized my Logitech revolution mouse's extra buttons actually work!!! I can now go forward and back with my thumb!!!!

Maybe there is a future for linux.

Kev

Re: Anyone else notice that extra buttons on mice work now!!!?!

Works for me too and the multimedia buttons on the keyboard work OOTB with Amarok. Well something positive comes out of KDE4. Only way to go from now is up I hope.

Comment

I am using KDE 3.5.9 version, and the extra buttons on my Microsoft Laser mouse do not work. I could probably manually configure xorg.conf, but I wonder if that's the right way of doing it. Any suggestions?
      Registered Linux User: #281828 | Kubuntu User: #22280

Kubuntu 18.04 LTS
      Dell Precision Workstation T5500 (Xeon @ 2.13GHz x 2 / 12 GB RAM)

Comment

I just noticed! Thanks, it's been bugging me for a few years that they didn't work and I never could manage to get them working. I also noticed that my wacom tablet's buttons work as well.

Comment

Unit this thread was started, I hadn't noticed. I only have a two-button mouse with a scroll wheel. The wheel has always worked for scrolling up and down. But it also has a push-to-click function (the scroll wheel) which never did anything. Tried it today. If I position the pointer on a hyperlink, and push the scroll wheel, it launches the link as if I had left-clicked. Okay, so not very useful - I can left-click or push the wheel to launch a hyperlink - but hey, it didn't do anything before!
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
            Unit this thread was started, I hadn't noticed. I only have a two-button mouse with a scroll wheel. The wheel has always worked for scrolling up and down. But it also has a push-to-click function (the scroll wheel) which never did anything. Tried it today. If I position the pointer on a hyperlink, and push the scroll wheel, it launches the link as if I had left-clicked. Okay, so not very useful - I can left-click or push the wheel to launch a hyperlink - but hey, it didn't do anything before!
            That's funny! Ideally, clicking the middle button (or the wheel) should paste the content of the clipboard, and my Microsoft mouse works that way without any modification to xorg.conf. It is just those two side buttons (back and forward) that needed manual tweaking to xorg.conf in order to work. Oh well.

Kubuntu 18.04 LTS

Comment

Maybe there is a way to modify what my wheel (when clicked) does. Hmm.

Just tried this in a console shell. After copying some text, clicking the wheel pastes what I copied. Even better, if after highlighting text, just clicking the wheel pastes what was highlighted - I don't have to 'copy' and then 'paste.' Way to cool (and what I've seen as the behavior on Unix systems).

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
                Just tried this in a console shell. After copying some text, clicking the wheel pastes what I copied. Even better, if after highlighting text, just clicking the wheel pastes what was highlighted - I don't have to 'copy' and then 'paste.' Why to cool (and what I've seen as the behavior on Unix systems).
                There you go! That's one of the X Window features that I can't live without today. It's so convenient, the Windows-style <Ctrl + C> and <Ctrl + V> become cumbersome.

Kubuntu 18.04 LTS

Comment

Originally posted by daihard
                  There you go! That's one of the X Window features that I can't live without today. It's so convenient, the Windows-style <Ctrl + C> and <Ctrl + V> become cumbersome.
                  Yes. I was actually slightly frustrated with having to first copy and then paste selections. I hate 'wasted steps' and knowing that in Unix systems, just highlighting was sufficient to put the 'data' into the clipboard (as it were) and a single mouse click would paste it, was something I missed. Glad to know that that capability is now available.

Comment

Yes, the mouse works great now! Keyboard's extra function keys are gone though....

Anyone configured the G11/G15 Logitech keyboards' extra function keys (G1-G18) in Kubuntu?

Comment

Originally posted by bryan1275
                      Yes, the mouse works great now! Keyboard's extra function keys are gone though....

Anyone configured the G11/G15 Logitech keyboards' extra function keys (G1-G18) in Kubuntu?
                      Have you tried "keytouch"? It supports a wide variety of keyboards, including numerous Logitech models. You can run "sudo apt-get install keytouch" to install it.

If that does not work, you can always use "xev" to record the keycodes of those extra keys and assign them your own Function codes (such as F20, F21, etc) by modifying your ~/.Xmodmap file.

Kubuntu 18.04 LTS

Comment

Working...
                      X