This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

switching from latin to cyrillic characters (language) quickly

I want to be able to switch between Latin and Cyrillic languages quickly. Anyone know how to do this. I have tried and all I can get so far is something that switches the whole system language. Microsoft have a language switch box that can be installed in the toolbar enabling the user to quickly select the next sentence to type in the chosen language. There must be something but cannot find it. My second week into Linux and all else is superb apart from this annoying thing I can't get right.

Re: switching from latin to cyrillic characters (language) quickly

Kmenu > System settings > Region and Language > enable keyboard layouts > Keyboard layout

select the keyboard layouts that you would like to be able to type with.
    You will then get a small flag on your taskbar with a two letter code for the language.
    I am running three right now. EN-DE RU, so two Latin and on Cyrllic
    I don't remember having to install anything else for cyrillic alphabet to work.

Only problem is that I have not really spent much time with a real Russian keyboard and it is a real pain in the HOLE to find the letter you are looking for
    Our virtues and our failings are inseparable, like force and matter. When they separate, man is no more.<br />&nbsp; &nbsp; Nikola Tesla

Comment

Re: switching from latin to cyrillic characters (language) quickly

Thanks for your help and advice. I did find all the little flags eventually. My problem is I am a newbie to Linux and things ain't the same as Microsoft. Here a lot of dig in and do it yourself is required which I am enjoying and happily I can say I have turned my back on the big M for ever - I hope. Kubuntu and Linux is great and I am sorry it has taken me so long to become a member of a great family. Thanks once again.
      Patrick

Comment

Working...
      X