• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: USB drives not detected

Some people have their home on a separate partition, /home,
    where, for example, /home/your_name is.
    That's where your personal data is and your configuration settings are
    (e.g., Firefox & Thunderbird profiles, Desktop appearance,
    making Konqueror your default file browser, etc.).
    Thus, when you upgrade in place, or reinstall/install fresh, you can maintain
    your /home partition--your data and your configuration settings.
    That same /home should work OK as long as you haven't tried
    to upgrade/install by more than one version. The devs spend effort to
    ensure that your /home will work with the new version.

As for the elongated response ... First, I congratulate you on keeping you mind
    on what matters here and not on the superficial.
    The elongated screen is caused by that very long link I pasted here (above)
    and that you quoted me on. There's a way to avoid doing that, as noted by S-H above.
    In this present post, you don't see the elongation, because
    I kept introducing "carriage returns" to make the lines short.
    And so it goes.

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I have a post:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3094452.0

about not getting the photocards in my HP Photosmart C6280 recognized and mounted. Strange behavior. In 7.10 I couldn't get my USB pens recognized and in 8.04 they mount and appear on the desktop in seconds. In 7.10 the photocards mounted and appeared on the desktop in a few seconds. In 8.04 I can print and scan perfectly, but neither my system nor the printer will recognize that I should be able to see the photocards. My wife's Mac appears on the printer as a save location, but not my Kubuntu box. The printer is Ethernet into a router as is my Kubuntu box. My wife's Mac is wireless to the router. Similar, but different issues.

I moved from 7.10 to 8.04 by doing an upgrade over the Internet.
      An old mainframer trying to get modern in his retirement.

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike
        Some people have their home on a separate partition, /home,
        where, for example, /home/your_name is.
        That's where your personal data is and your configuration settings are
        (e.g., Firefox & Thunderbird profiles, Desktop appearance,
        making Konqueror your default file browser, etc.).
        Thus, when you upgrade in place, or reinstall/install fresh, you can maintain
        your /home partition--your data and your configuration settings.
        That same /home should work OK as long as you haven't tried
        to upgrade/install by more than one version. The devs spend effort to
        ensure that your /home will work with the new version.
        Okay, now I understand what you mean. I have for more years than I care to remember, not followed the advise I have read and do not keep my '/home/name' directory on a separate partition. I just keep everything in a single huge partition.

It makes sense to do this as you say, since then all of those configuration settings do not get wiped on even a fresh install.

I spent too many years with a single partition and now that I have two dual layer DVD drives, I can back up almost everything on '/home/name' on a single DVD with a single drag and drop under K3b. It takes a long time for K3b to write the DVD, but then that is irrelevant since I would have to back-up even on a separate partition. So with '/home/name' on a single dual layer DVD, I can just do the fresh install, reformatting that single partition and then restore '/home/name' with a single drag and drop again.

I just trust the DVD back-up more than any installation program doing what I 'think' it is doing. Been fooled too many times on that.

Comment

Originally posted by Calgarian
          I have a post:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3094452.0

about not getting the photocards in my HP Photosmart C6280 recognized and mounted. Strange behavior. In 7.10 I couldn't get my USB pens recognized and in 8.04 they mount and appear on the desktop in seconds. In 7.10 the photocards mounted and appeared on the desktop in a few seconds. In 8.04 I can print and scan perfectly, but neither my system nor the printer will recognize that I should be able to see the photocards. My wife's Mac appears on the printer as a save location, but not my Kubuntu box. The printer is Ethernet into a router as is my Kubuntu box. My wife's Mac is wireless to the router. Similar, but different issues.

I moved from 7.10 to 8.04 by doing an upgrade over the Internet.
          It would appear that doing an upgrade as opposed to fresh install can make a good 7.10 installation into bad 8.04 installation or make a bad 7.10 installation into a good 8.04 installation. And probably all of the permutations of those two states. You roll the dice.

Comment

@ geezer:
            Partitioning—how to, Rog131:
            http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3090704.0
            That's pretty much the thinking I follow these days.

However ...
            Your point also makes good sense re backup to DVD.
            I actually do the same, but selectively backup stuff to selective media
            (e.g., Firefox and Thunderbird profiles on a flash drive (for handy
            use, as in live sessions); permanent data to USB/UFD and DVD; etc.).
            I actually, usually, wipe my /home partition clean also upon fresh install
            I like a solid, clean, unencumbered, no-expectation fresh start.
            An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Working...
            X