This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Audio issues after upgrading to Hardy Heron

I recently upgraded from Gutsy to Hardy and thus far I'm happy, minus the fact that I have no audio...

When I first installed Gutsy I didn't have to go through all the effort of finding the correct driver and such, it was all auto detected, but for some reason, that is not the case this time.

I attempted to follow this:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=205449

It is recognising my sound card:

00:0e.1 Audio device: nVidia Corporation MCP55 High Definition Audio (rev a2)

Unfortunately I cannot find a driver on the Alsa-Project website

I'm just wondering if I'm out of luck, or what can be done?
    Any help would be much appreciated!

Cheers

Mad at the world for bringing you down<br />Never giving reasons why none can be found<br />Could have been a leader could have been a someone<br />Could have been should have been you could of proved me wrong

Re: Audio issues after upgrading to Hardy Heron

I'm sorry I can't offer any help, but I had the same problem doing an upgrade on Ubuntu from Gutsy to Hardy.

The upgrade broke my video and sound. Fixed the video, but couldn't get sound working again.

I ended up resolving it by doing a clean install of Hardy (this time of Kubuntu to try). I know that doesn't resolve your problem though - sorry I'm not more help.

Comment

Hi guys,
      Yesterday Ihad problem with sound too. A little bit diferent but... Is there more than one sound card in your PC? If yes, maybe could help you this: http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3094092.0

Comment

Thanks, unfortunately that didn't help as my audio card was set as 1, which it should be (or so I'm told. As well, I only have the on board audio card)
        Mad at the world for bringing you down<br />Never giving reasons why none can be found<br />Could have been a leader could have been a someone<br />Could have been should have been you could of proved me wrong

Comment

Hi,
          I made a clear install of Hardy and I have no problem having the same sound card. Try reinstalling alsa and installing additional modules for you kernel linux-xxx-modules and backport modules.

The problem may be caused also by pulse audio - it made sound issues in Fedora for me, try to remove it.
          Lord BeeDoO

Comment

Originally posted by BlackDaemonion
            I recently upgraded from Gutsy to Hardy and thus far I'm happy, minus the fact that I have no audio...

When I first installed Gutsy I didn't have to go through all the effort of finding the correct driver and such, it was all auto detected, but for some reason, that is not the case this time.

I attempted to follow this:
            http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=205449

It is recognising my sound card:

00:0e.1 Audio device: nVidia Corporation MCP55 High Definition Audio (rev a2)

Unfortunately I cannot find a driver on the Alsa-Project website

I'm just wondering if I'm out of luck, or what can be done?
            Any help would be much appreciated!

Cheers

I have exactly the same problem.. I also tried the same link and it doesn't work.. no soundcard detected.. eventhough the hard shows up

Comment

solved my problem.. I found out that via adept I had installed the 1386 kernel besides the general kernel.
              removing the 1386 kernel yielded and running the general kernel resulted in sound being present

Comment

Originally posted by oene666
                solved my problem.. I found out that via adept I had installed the 1386 kernel besides the general kernel.
                removing the 1386 kernel yielded and running the general kernel resulted in sound being present
                Hey oene666, can you describe in further details what you did ? what is that 1386 kernel ? how does it appear in adept ?

thanks
                I&#39;ll tell you all my secrets, but I&#39;ll lie about my past<br /><br />http://www.thebizneeds.com

Comment

I looked through Adept and unfortunately I cannot find anything that remotely resembles 1386. I found a generic image, nvidia common, etc. I'm not going to just uninstall one without knowing what it is; so please, if you have any more information, it would be appreciated.

Cheers

Comment

This is interesting. I also had audio issues after an upgrade from 7.10 to 8.04. Came here first and none of the suggestions helped. Then I tried right clicking on the speaker in the system tray panel, and the "Select Master Channel", clicked on PCM and it worked.

Not exactly sure why - but if it helps someone else thought I would pass it along.

I am running a Lenovo T61.

Comment

I think oene666 means i386 not 1386. And it is generic image (not general). I encounter this problem too after upgrade the kernel from 2.6.24-19 to 2.6.24-20 generic.And, I have deleted the 2.6.24-20 i386, coz some people said that i386 is for older computer. But the result is still the same.
                      P4 3.06 HT,RAM 512 MB, 80GB HD, Geforce 6200 LE, Kubuntu 8.04

Comment

Working...
                      X