This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CD tray stuck

Hiya, um I can't open my CD tray. I don't know if it can actually read CDs or not seeing as there's none in the thing.

Any idea?

Re: CD tray stuck

right-click on the icon and select unmount/eject and if it doesn't open automatically try pushing the button on your CD unit to eject.
    Wanna know more about Me and My computer then click here

Comment

I have/had the same problem with my kubuntu 7.10 system. I had to turn off the computer all the way and use a paper clip tip to push into the little hole on the front of the drive to get the cd out. I would then put in a new cd and had the same problem. that system is dual booted. and it wasnt untill I booted into the other OS (xp) and ejected the cd from inside of there that it worked right again under kunbuntu.

I have no idea what started the problem as others use the system and the cd had been in it for a few weeks before I tried to remove it. I do not know if booting into another OS really fixed it. but it seemed like the drive was locked. like when you burn a disk and it locks the drive.

I think this is a liteon dvd burner.

Comment

You can try putting this in your sysctl file in /etc/sysctl.conf

dev.cdrom.lock=0

and issue in the terminal to reload it,

sudo sysctl -p

to see if this keeps the system/kernel from locking the CD Trays

or

for just he current session to test:

sudo sysctl -w dev.cdrom.lock=0

and to see all ur current sysctl kernel settings issue:

sysctl -a

some will say perm. denied and to see these, sudo it.

Comment

Well I tried to navigate to /etc/sysctl.conf but it says permission denied it tried "sudo sysctl -w dev.cdrom.lock=0" which didn't change much. So looked at the sysctl settings as you suggested, I got an greant list of things that I don't understand really. Although at the end there's stuff about dev.cdrom.info I dunno what's relevant though...

Comment

you'll have to look some of the stuff urself those are kerrnel settings - some that can be modified without a re-compile of the kernel.

usually a 1 = on and a 0 = off

about permission denied, did you when editing add sudo in front in the terminal? also it should by default allow you @ least read the file. :/

by the way sysctl.conf is a txt file.

Comment

Hmm
              It says drive speed: 0 which seems wierd, can close tray is also 0. Should I change one of these? And how? With sudo sysctl -w dev.cdrom.?=1

Comment

like I said u'll have to look that up urself, try a search engine, and of course what you should put after the equal sign.

Comment

Working...
                X