Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ATI radeon 3870 sound card -> no sound from original PC's sound card- SOLVED

Hi, I have ATI Radeon 3870 which has built in HD audio decoder for HDMI. After instalation original ATI drivers, my integrated sound card on mother board stoped work and i do not hear any sound no more. In Windows XP I disabled the Ati sound card in Hardware Administration and my original integrated card started work fine. How can I do something similar to that in Kubuntu? There is nothing on the Internet about my issue, please help. I do not use HDMI, only DVI for my LCD.

Re: ATI radeon 3870 sound card -> no sound from original PC's sound card

Reboot and enter the PCs BIOS setup. Look for a setting for the onboard audio and toggle it to disabled.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

But I wanna use onboard audio...I just want my graphics card do only graphics not audio...And I tried that and no positive effect :-/
      Have another idea please?
      Thanks for care ;-)

Comment

Back in the BIOS, the audio options are probably AUTO, ENABLE, DISABLE. Try resetting to ENABLE (don't use AUTO).

Comment

No AUTO option. I have ENABLE and AC97. When DISABLE it says in Kubuntu there is no audio decoder, when ENABLE and HD Audio- no sound and ENABLE with AC97 still no sound (but it worked fine before instalation radeon's driver.)

I used lspci command and it says:
          01:00.1 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon HD 3870 Audio device

If there would be my onboard sound card, it would be fine, i guess. Can I somehow disable ATI audio device? Or smthg else?

Comment

I'm not able to answer that question (I did some Google searching). I'm a laptop user, so my sound is onboard. I would suggest contacting ATI and asking if there is any way to disable the audio on the card.

Comment

I did google search too :-) but nothing found. It seems like I am the only one with this problem :-/ There is no command or editing some config file which can disable one piece of hardware? There must be... In windows it worked when i disabled this ATI sound card so i guess in Kubuntu it could work too. Anyway thanks for trying help :-)

Comment

Problem solved
                I finaly figured it out :-) So for anybody who would have the same problem. Here is the solution...

In file /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base (which you must edit as root) there would be something like this at the end of file

options snd-emu10k1 index=0
                options snd-via82xx index=1

Those are sound card modules/drivers and "index" number tells Linux what sound card loadfirst, second ... In this case will be loaded driver for Emu10k1 which will play sound.

In my case with Radeon 3870 i had to change atiixp (or similar) to biger number and then reboot. Last step is in Kmixer turn everything on and with full volume and you should hear the sound like I did ;-)

Comment

Very good. It actually may not be the only solution, but in Linux, there often is more than one way to do anything! Glad you got your issue resolved.

If you will return to the initial post, you can mark this solved by clicking the modify button and adding SOLVED to the Subject line.

Comment

Re: ATI radeon 3870 sound card -> no sound from original PC's sound card- SOLVED

"SOLVED" is added ;-)

Comment

Re: ATI radeon 3870 sound card -> no sound from original PC's sound card- SOLVED

Welcome to the Kubuntu Forums. Lot's of helpful members here. Use Google (Google is your friend), search this Forum, but if afterwards, you still have questions, ask away.

Comment

Working...
                      X