This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Making /home == WinXP home dir

I currently dual-boot Kubuntu and WinXP, using both to a fair degree for different tasks. I'm planning on buying a laptop soon and want, if possible, a seamless way to access personal documents and files from either OS. (So I'll have the option to create whatever partitions are needed, and muck about a bit without risk of data loss).

Currently, I have symlinks in my /home directory to the folders under the c:\Docs-n-settings\username\documents, which is where everything is stored in XP. (Kub automounts the NTFS partition at /windows, so the symlinks are to /windows/Documents....). This works OK, but it'd be nice if what I was seeing under /home was ACTUALLY the same folders as I see in XP; that is, if I had an extra partition which linux always mounts at /home, and under windows, appears as D: and is set up with the Docs-n-settings hierarchy on it.

a) This would require that extra partition to be either NTFS or FAT, so XP can read it. I understand that writing to NTFS is stable enough now (NTFS-3g) for this to work.
    b) This would mean that both OSes would be writing to this partition, alternately, depending on which I'm booted in.

So, QUESTIONS: does anyone know if b) will cause it to balls up? I have a sneaky suspicion that I'm missing something! Has anyone experimented with integrating the user directories in XP (or Vista) and *buntu (or *nix more generally?) Is there a better solution that I've not noticed?

Re: Making /home == WinXP home dir

unix/linux users' home directories can be any directory.
    it doesn't have to be /home/username.
    so, from the linux point of view, i don't see any troubles.
    you would have to check how it reacts to directory/file names with blanks in them.
    but other than that...

however...
    i haven't got a clue as to how windoze work.
    so, i don't know what would windoze do.

btw, it is my understanding that ext3 be available under windoze.
    not that it changes anything.
    but since we're talking interoperability...

hth

gnu/linux is not windoze

Comment

I did this before, but instead of using NTFS/FAT, I used ext2 for the /home filesystem and installed the Ext2 IFS for Windows (http://www.fs-driver.org/) so XP could read the file system.

This worked quite well, although the Windows driver tended to leave things in need of an FSCK if the system crashed. That required a boot back to Linux before the Windows side could read the filesystem again.

The other thing I found was that it was better to put the actual home directory in a subdirectory of /home/user, rather than using /home/user itself. This is because Linux peppers /home/user with lots of dotfiles that show up in the XP file browser. So I created /home/user/data where all my files went, pointed "My Documents" there, and everything was groovy.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I'll try to remember to let this thread know when I've actually got it all working

Comment

that'd be kind of you, yeah...
          gnu/linux is not windoze

Comment

I have all of my data on a separate /data partition with /home on another separate partition.

Works just fine.
            The only profiles I needed from xp (now vm machine) were FF and TB profiles.
            So i just recreated them for FF and TB in Kubuntu and pointed my email configs on xp and Kubuntu to my email folder in /data.

I don't know why you would want xp to access your /home partition but it is doable
            HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
            4 GB Ram
            Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

I don't know why you would want xp to access your /home partition but it is doable
              I don't, specifically. I just want one common resource on the hard drive that I read and write personal files to, that is *transparently* both /home/[user] (or subdirectory thereof) on Linux and c:\users\[user] on Windows (that would be the Vista path, I figure I'll probably not be able to avoid getting Vista if I'm buying a laptop now ).

Symlinks work fine, for almost everything. The failing point is this: if I have /home/[user]/symlink --> /windows/[windows-hierarchy]/[user]/myfolder and, from inside /home/[user]/symlink, do cp FILE .. the FILE ends up in /windows/[windows-hierarchy]/[user] rather than /home/[user].

I do this quite a lot...

Comment

Of course you could do it the other way. XP allows you to change the location of 'My Documents'. I just point my documents at my Linux home folder which is shared using Samba

Comment

Working...
                X