This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nvidia SATA RAID compatiable yet?

With the last few versions of Ubuntu I've not been able to install the OS onto a RAID drive because the setup program hasn't been able to recognise the partitions that Ive already set up for it... It will see it as 2 HDDs and will try to write over the entire drive.. not something I realy want to do... has the new version of ubuntu 8.04 fixed this problem?

Re: Nvidia SATA RAID compatiable yet?

It sounds like you have already made the array and have data on it that you don't want to loose. Where was his array made? Was it in Windows? If so then the two will not be compatible, unless it was hardware RAID.

I have found it easier to use a small drive (or use a flash drive) for the main OS and then create my RAID 5 array using mdadm (found in the Ubuntu repos) to control the creation and assembly of the array as I move from distro to distro or version to version.

I'll try to watch this thread if you have more questions on RAID in Linux. Can you tell me more about what you have done to create this array?

Comment

It is a NVIDIA RAID 0 not software raid. I've just downloaded 8.04 and it still down't recognise it.

What I ended up doing was finding an old IDE drive... (disconnecting the SATA drives) and installing Ubuntu onto that... If I want to play with linux I can just press F8 to boot from the IDE drive instead of the SATA RAID set.

Now all I have to do is get SPDIF working and I'll be happy with linux.... still struggeling with that one a bit.

Comment

If by NVIDIA RAID you mean the raid controller on your Nvidia chipset based motherboard, than that is software RAID. There is a way to have this supported using DMRAID and the raid bios settings but I found this too much of a mess and set my bios to no raid and used mdadm. But glad to see you got Ubuntu working with another drive anyway. But I just wanted to let you know Nvidia's raid implementation is a little misleading, I too thought my motherboard supported "hardware" raid.

Comment

can you point me in the good direction of a HOWTo of some kind?

Comment

Working...
          X