This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

apt update time

Just a minor annoyance but I thought that I'd ask. I seem to remember that you used to (or should) be able to change the time of day that apt updates itself. Right now it happens when I am busy doing stuff and it's a little annoying. I can't seem to find the option anywhere in KDE, or Adept Manager. Is it a CLI thing? Actually, I'm not even sure that it is apt that is doing it, but when it is done is when it gives me the notification of new packages being available for download, and in the process list I believe it is called "updatedb".

So any way I can change what time of day this happens?
    -Those who dance are considered insane by those who can't hear the music.

Re: apt update time

I f you load Add-Remove Programs which is the apt_installer you can click on the [Edit Software Sources] Button. Next click on the [Updates] tab there you can choose Daily, Weekly, Bi-Weekly, Monthly.
    I see no time of day.
    However apt is launched daily by a cron script in /etc/cron.daily.
    What you would have to do is adapt a script to /etc/cron.hourly and specify the time of day.. or simply indicate a timestamp hour n the /etc/cron.daily/apt script

more simply you could use an app like cron-apt

http://ubuntumagnet.com/2007/10/debaweek-cron-apt

Comment

You can also set the time when cron's daily routine is performed by editing /etc/crontab.

Originally posted by Murdoc
      I believe it is called "updatedb".
      updatedb is not responsible for apt daily updates, it performs locate's database update (which is also part of the cron daily routine via /etc/cron.daily/mlocate. apt's update script is /etc/cron.daily/apt

Comment

Earlier:

> Topic: Auto Update
        > Topic: How to schedule adept package updates
        Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
        1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
        2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Working...
        X