This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Im new & Need Help otherwise back 2 windows 4 me

i just installed kubuntu 7.10.i always used windows but I like the whole look n everything bout ubuntu. But now i can not play mp3 or any music files famous formats that is. cant play flv files. Can not install any player couse exe files does not work. i looked on the net and found that i need to install packages by commands. But wine and the mp3 package are not available.i dont have internet on that pC. realy need help. And what does r u root means

Re: Im new & Need Help otherwise back 2 windows 4 me

You don't need wine for Multimedia.
    Multimedia works fine with kubuntu.
    http://www.medibuntu.org/

And to install applications "packages" you don't need the command line, well rarely

The adept package manager or synaptic (needs to be installed) are great tools for installing apps.

Without an Internet it can be tedious. This may point you in the right direction:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/7.10/add-app...C/offline.html

The help center in "K"->help is a good place to start as well.

Hope this helps.
    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Re: Im new & Need Help otherwise back 2 windows 4 me

Also don't be scared about using the command line to install packages because its actually very repetative on how to do it all you usually have to know is the name of the package that you want to install and use the following command

sudo apt-get install (package name) (and hit enter)
      (enter your user password in the prompt when it asks)

and the package should install

and who knows you might end up liking to install things through the konsole better

root is the administrative user in linux
      &quot;If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn&#39;t thinking.&quot;<br />- General George Patton Jr

Comment

Re: Im new &amp; Need Help otherwise back 2 windows 4 me

thanx a lot for your quick reply. I tried commands to instal wine and libxine but they are no in the system. where can i download these files. if i click on mp3 Amarok opens up and installs somthing & then a pop up appears saying mp3 supprt installed restart Amarok. But when i restart Amarok and click on mp3 or drop mp3 in it, it does the whole over again. Can u plz tell me how can i set up an dail up internet connection in kubuntu. so i can get online help & support. I realy want to use ubuntu but it is difficult.

Comment

Re: Im new &amp; Need Help otherwise back 2 windows 4 me

I've never used a Dial-up connection but the KnetworkManager has a Dial-up connection option you may want to look at that. All you have to do to access it is either the Kmenu under "Internet" i think, and then it should appear at the bottom right as a wired connection (I am assuming because that is usually the default look of the KnetworkManager icon). Right click the icon and select "Dial-Up Connections". If you still have problems i will try to look up a tutorial that may help.

Don't give up on Linux yet
          &quot;If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn&#39;t thinking.&quot;<br />- General George Patton Jr

Comment

Working...
          X