This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

root partition filling up

A couple of nights ago I noticed that my root partition is nearly full. My disk is partitioned into the root at about 20 Gb, /home (where all my data goes) and several other partitions for earlier OSes, Windoze, swap, etc. Frankly, I'm a little surprised that it's nearly full, but now I'm on a quest to figure out why. I've found first that in /var/cache/apt there are a bunch of .deb files that I assume apt has used in the past. Can these be deleted?

What else should I look for? I've already gone though and peeled off all the apps that I don't use on a regular basis.

Thanks.
    Bill Lugg

Re: root partition filling up

Try these, for starters, in the Konsole:

Code:
    sudo apt-get autoclean
    Code:
    sudo apt-get autoremove
    Then
    Code:
    df
    and see how you're doing.

A basic Kubuntu installation, including OOO, Firefox, GoogleEarth, and a dozen of your favorite packages should not exceed about 5GB, so something is definitely going on there. I have a 16GB Kubuntu filesystem, which includes a 5GB VMware Player VM in the /home directory, plus OOO, GoogleEarth, Firefox 3, gimp, and multiple utilities, and it is presently 64% full, so about 10GB total, including the VM.

Comment

That helped a bit. My free space on the partition jumped from 135 MB to 697 MB running the apt-get commands you suggested. However, something is still amiss. My installation is not too different from yours. I don't run Google Earth, but I do run VMWare with the virtual machines in the /home partition. I probably have a few more apps installed, but nothing significant. I was preparing to do some Qt based development, but hadn't started so I even deleted the Qt 3 and Qt 4 packages just to see what that would free up. I figured I get the latest from Trolltech when it was time anyway.

Right now I'm using a graphical disk map tool to try to find large files or places I can go to get rid of garbage, but I've not had much luck so far.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the help.
      Bill Lugg

Comment

sudo apt-get clean
        is a more aggressive method to clean the package cache...that should free up some more room.

EDIT: you can also do something like:
        Code:
        sudo find / -size +10M
        to list particularly large files on your root filesystem (>10 Mb)

Comment

OK, I found the problem. Somehow my home folder got copied to the folder I use for an NFS mount to another computer that I use for backups. Just write it off to a brain-dead move on my part.

Thanks for the pointers though, they will help in the future.
          Bill Lugg

Comment

Working...
          X