This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Applications Won't Load

I have a very strange problem where most applications do no load.
    Everything boots up fine and no error messages are displayed.
    Things like Konsole, adept or Kaffeine do not work. The Konsole does nothing, adept asks for root password and then does nothing and Kaffeine will look like it will load but once the mouse pointer is no longer "Busy" it disappears.
    Programs like Dolphin do work and Helix player 'works', but does not seem to play any type of file. This may be normal as I have never used Helix before.
    These programs used to work but what happened, and how can I fix it?

I recently installed the following driver for my graphics card, it worked fine for a few days. May not be relevant.
    NVIDIA-Linux-x86-96.43.07-pkg1.run

Re: Applications Won't Load

This is a long shot, but check permissions in your root directory. Boot in Recovery Mode, and type
    Code:
    ls -al /
    The first entry should start with
    Code:
    drwxr-xr-x
    If it looks different, you can fix it with
    Code:
    chmod 755 /
    I just fixed a similar-sounding problem yesterday this way. To be thorough you might want to check subdirectories like /etc, /bin, /usr/bin, etc.

The safest and surest way to install the Nvidia graphics driver is with the program EnvyNG (http://albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html). That solves a lot of problems, but I haven't run across a problem like yours that's due to the graphics driver.

Comment

Re: Applications Won't Load

I had a look at the folder permissions and they looked normal to me.

Almost all folders had the permissions drwxr-xr-x except for proc, core and lost & found. tmp seemed to have all permissions set.

Comment

Working...
      X