Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

help, Adept Manager doesn't work anymore!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

help, Adept Manager doesn't work anymore!!

I tried installing Acroread following the instructions from Medibuntu, but I'm afraid I used the instructions for 8.x (my version is 7.x). The install failed, and soon after the Adept Notifier showed two updates, amorok and amorok-xine, which I proceeded to update. The packages didn't update, and the Adept Notifier has not disappeared since despite a few more attempts to update those packages.

I tried also updating these packages with Adept Manager to no avail. From the same program, I tried installing Acroread, but the request status shows "BREAK(install)".

I'm not sure what I did wrong, but I need some help.

Re: help, Adept Manager doesn't work anymore!!

Code:
    sudo dpkg --configure -a
    should fix any issues with your package manager.

I wouldn't worry too much about the notifier. Just run Adept Manager once a week or so, and hit "Fetch" and then, assuming you want the updates, hit "Apply" and you will be updated.

Comment

I've tried that already and a bunch of other commands but all failed.

Comment

I think you messed up your sources list, with the Medibuntu attempt. That would explain the issues you're having.

Can you open the file /etc/apt/sources.list with kate, in Super User mode? Alt-F2 "kdesu kate /etc/apt/sources.list" should do it.

I forget if the 7.10 source.list is split into two different files, or not. What you need to do is find the lines that were added by your Medibuntu adventure, and delete them. If you're not sure you've got the right lines, then rather than delete them, comment them out by inserting a leading "#" mark at the beginning of each line that you think may not belong. It's fairly obvious by inspecting the structure of that file what lines are proper and what is sticking out as different. You're looking for the "different" lines, near or at the bottom of the file.

HTH

Comment

Thanks dibl, I resolved the problem with your suggestion. I removed the source but from the Manage Repositories menu within Adept Manager.

Now, I'm right back to not having Acroread. If you have any suggestions, please go ahead.

Thanks again!!

Comment

HOWTO: Add the Medibuntu Repository and PGP Key

This works for adding the medibuntu repositories.
            Windows no longer obstructs my view.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by edisav

I removed the source but from the Manage Repositories menu within Adept Manager.

Now, I'm right back to not having Acroread. If you have any suggestions, please go ahead.
              That's a good way!

Like Snowhog says, just go to Medibuntu and follow the instructions, but use the repo for 7.10 Gutsy. It should be fine.

Comment

I don't remember whether I have Kubuntu 7.04 or 7.10. This probably is one of the dumbest questions, but how do I find out which version I use?

Thanks!!

Comment

In a console type:
                  Code:
                  lsb_release -a

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
                    In a console type:
                    Code:
                    lsb_release -a
                    Ahhh yes... and there is the ugly truth... we are all running Ubuntu.

That's a good command to file in my "you'll want it some day but never find it" list. Thanks!

Comment

Remember, that the main difference between Ubuntu and Kubuntu is the desktop environment (and the underlying development tools used by each) each uses. Strip away the desktop environment, and the underlying core OS is the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
                        Remember, that the main difference between Ubuntu and Kubuntu is the desktop environment (and the underlying development tools used by each) each uses. Strip away the desktop environment, and the underlying core OS is the same.
                        Meh. Linux, X, and KDE is my "operating system". Those three together. But, really, I was just joking around there, with the usual, second class citizen rant... :P

Comment

I knew that.

Comment

Working...
                          X