This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OpenOffice regression to 2.3 => problems

Having never tried it before, I decided to try to install the new OO 2.4.1 directly from an OO site download. Big mistake. I removed existing OO2.3 installed from Adept. Then downloaded and untarred 2.4.1. There was some kind of install script, and I clicked it. Error messages arose about dependencies. I simply don't have time to figure this out. I have to keep working. I bailed, at this point.

First problem: Have no idea how to UNDO 2.4.1. The install instructions at the OO website say that it installs, in Debian systems, into root/org. Nope. Not there. No idea where it is. More than that, since there WAS some kind of install process going on at some point (sorry that I cannot recall the details), I think I need to worry about undoing THAT, but that's beyond me. I have NO idea what to do at this point. There seems to be no clues available at the OO site. I also search Kubuntu forums, and didn't find anything useful.

Needing badly to get lost functionality back, I reinstalled OO2.3 from Adept. Worked. Back in business. EXCEPT:

1. No icons anywhere on tool bars.
    2. Looking in options, I see options listed, but no way to know settings, as there are no check boxes. They DO work, if I click them. There just no display of state. I've never seen this problem before.

I have basic functionality, and that's fine, but the interface is a bit bombed, and I really do need to get option selection display to tell me whats on/off, etc.

I'd much appreciate any advice about how to improve my situation.

Thanks in advance.

Re: OpenOffice regression to 2.3 => problems

I'm thinking that, at this point, the best thing to do is to once again uninstall OOo 2.3 via Adept, or better yet purge it via Adept.

Once it's gone, go into a konsole and enter :
    Code:
    sudo find / -name openoffice*
    Then go in and manually remove each instance of the openoffice* file names.

Or, if the downloaded, untarred directory is still on your machine, there may be an uninstall script. I don't remember if there is an uninstall option when running the install script, but I think I remember that feature from some version or other. But then again, my little gray cells are not so energetic these days.

You are right that there is some sort of configuration confusion between the two versions, but it can be resolved.

Please give the above a try, or at least a look. Come back with more info/questions, or pure unadulterated confusion; it's all good ;>) !
    The next brick house on the left
    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

Maybe it's just the configuration folder that needs deleting. Look in your homedir for a folder .openoffice and delete it. You will have to set dolphin or konqueror to show hidden files to find the folder.

Comment

Good idea, tecumseh. But Tom, don't delete the folder in question, rename it first from .openoffice.org2 to .openoffice.org2.bak or some such. Always make a backup first is all I can say...
        Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Working...
        X