This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

File System

I do not understand the Linux file system. I rely on the program creating its own folder in the proper directory. I downloaded and installed the KMyMoney program without too much trouble. However, I find I can't use it because I can't properly manipulate the file system.

It evidently wants me to change the file directory and save the basic personal data file to another directory, I think. When I try to quit I get an error message about "unknown data file".

I am lost.

Re: File System

The KMyMoney Handbook
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

It looks like there is a newer version of the program out. I am not so that I couldn't find the handbook that comes with the version I have and read through it. My problem is that I am tearing up the program from the start because I do not have a good enough understanding of the Linux file system to do what it is asking me to do without getting a error message that fouls the program.

Is there a tutorial on the Linux file system?

Comment

Linux or ubuntu Directory structure

Comment

I can start the KMyMoney program and add an account, but when I want to leave the program the trouble still starts. I just can not figure out how to "save" the file. I ran into the same sort of problem using Open Office.

There is nothing in the MyMoney manual about how to close or save the file or even what to call it. How does "saving" files work in Linux?

Comment

Originally posted by AceMineral

How does "saving" files work in Linux?
            You're clearly suffering from "Windows Hangover", Ace.

Like many elements of Gnu/Linux, the filesystem structure is nothing like Windows, and there aren't many concepts that you can carry over and re-use. Basically, if you think of your /home/AceMineral directory as "My Documents", that's about all that you can safely compare. You don't go into the Linux equivalent of "Program Files" and monkey around with things -- you'll booger up the system if you try that. Executable files, and configuration items related to them, are saved in multiple places within the filesystem.

"File>Save As" and "File>Save" in your Linux packages (programs) work the same, however, as Windows programs.

So, if you want to open Konqueror, choose "home", and then in that white space do a right-click, and make a new folder called "MyMoney", then when you run MyMoney you can do "File > Save As" with your first file, and point it to the new MyMoney folder in your home directory, and all should be fine. (I don't know the program MyMoney, so don't ask for specifics on that).

Same with OOO docs and spreadsheets and other files. Just make folders in "/home/AceMineral for "Documents", "Spreadsheets", and whatever you want.

Comment

After reading the help file on how save a file in Ubuntu Open Office I was able to save a test text file. What was throwing me, and I still find absolutely unfathomable is why a box entitle "location" appears when it used for the new file name. I kept thinking "location" when it asks for a "location" and wondering where the naming of the new data file would come in.

I've been using Open Office for a couple of years in Windows and had no problems with it, but this Linux stuff is different enough to break my teeth on. If figuring out how to do something simple like save a file was a mystery, I dread puzzling out printing.

Comment

AceMineral, you're not alone. There may be technical reasons for calling that box “Location,” but they need to change it to something that makes sense to humans.

When you “Save As,” there's a drop-down list at the top => that's your “location.”
                Or, you can get “location” over on the left, selecting Home, Storage Media etc.
                By hook-and-crook, you can essentially navigate to the “location” you want; i.e., to the directory (= folder) where you want to save the file.

But I agree: the Location window should read “Name of File,” or “Filename.”
                It's probably called Location because it is the terminal node on a path that starts with the existing directory (as indicated in the top window, the one with the drop-down list).

fwiw, I had the same issue with this when first starting out. Now, I just ignore it. But they should change it.

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike
                  It's probably called Location because it is the terminal node on a path that starts with the existing directory (as indicated in the top window, the one with the drop-down list).
                  And/or more likely, because M$ holds so many 'patents' that KDE had to be careful in how it created it's interfaces so that it wasn't 'to much' like Windoze, or at least, could claim 'but it's different.'

Comment

Working...
                  X