This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unable to update virus database

I recently installed ClamAV to see if I can use it to scan viruses on my windows partitions. I am using Kubuntu 7.10 and Engine version: 0.92.1. However I cannot update the virus database and receive the following error.

cdelehanty@Dele2:~$ sudo freshclam
    ClamAV update process started at Mon May 5 15:17:33 2008
    WARNING: Can't query current.cvd.clamav.net
    WARNING: Invalid DNS reply. Falling back to HTTP mode.
    Reading CVD header (main.cvd): OK (IMS)
    main.cvd is up to date (version: 45, sigs: 169676, f-level: 21, builder: sven)
    Reading CVD header (daily.cvd): OK (IMS)
    daily.cvd is up to date (version: 7028, sigs: 45806, f-level: 26, builder: ccordes)
    cdelehanty@Dele2:~$

I have no known issues with my router and can update Kubuntu and install other programs. Also no problems with email and internet browsing.

Can anyone explain to me what this fault is and if possible any solutions to allow me to update.

Also is it possible for ClamAV to scan for viruses on windows partition from the Linux environment?

regards

Dele

Re: Unable to update virus database

Looks like nothing's wrong with your computer. I can't get a dns result for current.cvd.clamav.net either. But in any case, it's saying you're up to date.

And yes, ClamAV can scan windows partitions if they're mounted. That's pretty much the only reason a desktop needs it.
    I am running Ubuntu 8.10 (yes Gnome) with upgrades applied daily about 0900 UK time. Hardware is Dell Precision 420, 2x 800 MHz PIII, 512 MB RDRAM, nVidia GeForce 6800 128 MB AGP graphics, 18GB SCSI and 500GB IDE HDDs, DVD burner, Hauppage TV card.

Comment

Working...
    X