This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using "Keep" to Backup Files - Error

I'm trying to use "Keep" to maintain a backup of my home folder to a network storage device (HP Media Vault). When Keep tries to run, I get this message:
    An error occured making /home/mrmsudawgs backup:
    Fatal Error: Destination directory /mnt/mediavault/BackUp/Hamshack/Linux/mrmsudawgs exists, but does not look like a rdiff-backup directory. Running rdiff-backup like this could mess up what is currently in it. If you want to update or overwrite it, run rdiff-backup with the --force option
    This is rather cryptic to me so I'm not sure what the problem is. The drive I'm storing it to is automatically mounted in via fstab and I have no trouble getting to the drive with other programs.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
    Mike

sudo make me rich<br /><br />Kubuntu Gutsy 7.10<br />KDE 3.5<br />Compaq Presario 5000<br />Intel Celeron 1.2 Ghz<br />512 Ram, Riva TNT2 Video Card<br />All the above hardware is 7 year old junk but<br />Linux runs great on it.&nbsp; :&gt<br />Ham Radio Rules

Re: Using &quot;Keep&quot; to Backup Files - Error

To be honest, i've given up trying to use "Keep" - it's just too finicky.

One way i found around this particular problem is to delete (or re-name) the destination directory, and then to tell Keep to create a new one and use that.
    There always seem to be problems if you try to save a new backup into an existing directory - for some reason.

YMMV.

Comment

Originally posted by aged hippy
      To be honest, i've given up trying to use "Keep" - it's just too finicky.

One way i found around this particular problem is to delete (or re-name) the destination directory, and then to tell Keep to create a new one and use that.
      There always seem to be problems if you try to save a new backup into an existing directory - for some reason.

YMMV.
      Could you tell which alternative programs to Keep do you use?
      Thanks!

Comment

I've tried using Keep but I just get error messages. I assumed it was me but, now, I believe it might just be a poorly written program. I'll look around the net for automatic backup routines.

Thanks!
        sudo make me rich<br /><br />Kubuntu Gutsy 7.10<br />KDE 3.5<br />Compaq Presario 5000<br />Intel Celeron 1.2 Ghz<br />512 Ram, Riva TNT2 Video Card<br />All the above hardware is 7 year old junk but<br />Linux runs great on it.&nbsp; :&gt<br />Ham Radio Rules

Comment

This looks promising. I'll give this a try.
          http://linuxgazette.net/104/odonovan.html

Comment

Originally posted by mechanism
            I've tried using Keep but I just get error messages. I assumed it was me but, now, I believe it might just be a poorly written program. I'll look around the net for automatic backup routines.

Thanks!
            I have used a program called simple backup. Seemed to work fine. It is a gnome-application, I think.

Comment

The Keep backup program provides a graphical interface to rdiff-backup. Although Keep is simple to use, it does seem to lack some basic functionality provided by rdiff-backup.

The first time I tried to create a backup I got the same error as you and I had to create the initial backup with rdiff-backup.

I wanted to backup up my entire home directory to another hard drive so I first created a mountpoint (outside my home directory) called /backup and ran the following command in Konsole:

Code:
              sudo rdiff-backup --force /home/username /backup
              The initial backup will take a while to finish if you have a lot of data, but you can type top in Konsole to monitor when the backup has finished (the backup is complete when the rdiff-backup process stops running).

I also found that after I created the backup I needed to run Keep as sudo too. To do this I just right-clicked Keep in the KDE Menu and clicked Edit Item, then put sudo in front of the keep command. If you are backing up to a directory within your home directory you probably don't need to do this.

Once my initial backup was done I found I could configure everything else from within keep.

If the above command does not work for you, then you may need to type man rdiff-backup in Konsole and read the rdiff-backup user documentation.

Comment

how to do that on a samba shared external drive, i.e. the external is connected to a windows machine. thanks

EDIT: doesn't work either....'unable to create directory' using the command line above.....any other programs out there?
                Cheers, Big Ears!<br /><br />Asus C90s -3gb, e6600 2.4ghz, 250gb,Nvidia 8600 gddr3,Intel4965agn //Kubuntu 8.04/Gaming Partition (Vista)--dual boot<br />[B][I]My Linux Blog:&nbsp; http://linuxchronicles.wordpress.com

Comment

Forget KEEP, remove it from your system. Kbackup works great to a samba shared external HD.
                  Cheers, Big Ears!<br /><br />Asus C90s -3gb, e6600 2.4ghz, 250gb,Nvidia 8600 gddr3,Intel4965agn //Kubuntu 8.04/Gaming Partition (Vista)--dual boot<br />[B][I]My Linux Blog:&nbsp; http://linuxchronicles.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by theZoid
                    Forget KEEP, remove it from your system. Kbackup works great to a samba shared external HD.
                    Is Kbackup in the repos? A search via Synaptic does not find it.
                    The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason .....Benjamin Franklin<br />Kubuntu 9.10 x64&nbsp; Xbuntu 9.10 x64&nbsp; Win7 x64 Ultimate<br />Linux User: 416878&nbsp; &nbsp; Kubuntu User: 22154

Comment

I searched the repos as well and did not find it.

Comment

Hey guys....it's at kde-apps.org. There is a .deb package. I have a link in my blog at www.linuxchronicles.wordpress.com scroll down

Comment

Here is what SourceForge has to say; I would therefore be wary.
                          http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...group_id=12675
                          KBackup is an easy-to-use backup package for Unix. It was originally writen by Karsten Balluder. Currently, it's development has stagnated, and several fixes are needed.
                          The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason .....Benjamin Franklin<br />Kubuntu 9.10 x64&nbsp; Xbuntu 9.10 x64&nbsp; Win7 x64 Ultimate<br />Linux User: 416878&nbsp; &nbsp; Kubuntu User: 22154

Comment

Originally posted by BeepBeep
                            Here is what SourceForge has to say; I would therefore be wary.
                            http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...group_id=12675
                            KBackup is an easy-to-use backup package for Unix. It was originally writen by Karsten Balluder. Currently, it's development has stagnated, and several fixes are needed.
                            How old is that quote? It has an 81% favorable rating on kde-apps.org, and was last updated jan 25, 2008. From using it I can tell you it executes brilliantly. I think I'd be wary about what I read on sourceforge in this case, although I'm a big fan of sourceforge.net. Get the .deb package here: http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show...?content=44998

Comment

Originally posted by theZoid
                              How old is that quote? It has an 81% favorable rating on kde-apps.org, and was last updated jan 25, 2008. From using it I can tell you it executes brilliantly. I think I'd be wary about what I read on sourceforge in this case, although I'm a big fan of sourceforge.net. Get the .deb package here: http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show...?content=44998
                              I am afraid I have no idea as to when that quote originated as there is no date.

Thanks for the link; unfortunately the deb version will not run in the Kubuntu 64 bit version I am currently using.

Regards.

Comment

Working...
                              X