This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PDF application priority, adobe stealing priority

I seem to be having some strange behavior with PDF files on my current installation (a relatively standard 7.10 install). Prior to installing adobe's pdf reader kpdf was the default pdf application, installing acrobat reader set it to the default app, which isn't all too unexpected. However if I set KPDF to be the default application to open pdfs (which I want, I only use acrobat for some files that kpdf can't handle) in kcontrol, by raising it to the top of the list of applications to open pdf files, acrobat reader is still the default application. If I close the file associations tab and reopen it, adobe's pdf application is at the top of the list again, it's as though it always steals priority.

<insert rant about the inferiority of proprietary applications, with possibly malevolent actions>

Does anyone have any idea what causes this, and if there's any way to get KPDF to be the default application, other than by removing adobe's pdf application?

Re: PDF application priority, adobe stealing priority

What about if you
    right click on a pdf>properties>click on 'spanner'>put kpdf top of list

does this method of making kpdf the default work? (I'm guessing it will have same result but maybe worth a try)

Note: this is a konqueror based instruction, I have no idea if the same thing will work in dolphin.

Comment

That didn't work either.

Apparently running kcontrol as root solved the problem, anyone know why? is that the way it should behave?

Comment

Probably because Acrobat was installed for "All Users" and that means root. This is the correct behaviour. I quickly learned that whenever settings don't "stick" I should find out what they are as root.

Glad you got it fixed.

Comment

Working...
        X