• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good Text Editor for Kubuntu

Hi All,

I am new to Kubuntu.

This is my First post on this forum.

can anybody suggest me a good Text Editor for Kubuntu OS environment, my purpose of the editor is to create and edit xml files and Perl.

Thanks in Advance,
    Srikrishnan

Re: Good Text Editor for Kubuntu

The default, and also very good, text editor in Kubuntu is kate.

Comment

I want to recommend you Kate too, it's a very good text editor.
      You can also try Emacs, it has lots of options but it is a little harder to work with.

Good luck

Comment

I use Kate until I break my GUI. In CLI, I use nano.

Young guys with good memories can use vi, but old guys like me forget the secret key combos.

Comment

kedit & mc

kedit
          mc

I prefer kedit for plain text editing with the gui , although others may have more feartures and when I am working command line I use mcedit, part of the mc (midnight commander ) package. I use the command line file manager called mc very often, it allows me to work with files more quickly, including from one computer to another over then local network using ssh.

Comment

I have been looking at quite a few editors and I keep coming back to kate.
            I only wish it had that recent files bug fixed, people are complaining for years but it's still there.
            Are people using kate in kde4 still having it? The bug is that it does not save the recent files properly to it's configfile, my recent file list in the File menu is empty at the moment.
            Greetings from Groningen Netherlands

Comment

I just tested kate KDE4. Sorry, it still does not remember the "recent files".

Funny, this bug does not exist in kate KDE 3.5 in my sidux system. So this may be something to do with the Kubuntu implementation of KDE. In sidux, when I do Alt-F2 "kdesu kate" it opens in Super User mode with the last documents also opened, if I had not done a "File>Close" prior to shutting down kate. Moreover, if I then do Alt-F2 "kate", the user mode opens with the OTHER last documents used also opened. So it remembers recent documents for both su and user modes, separately.

Comment

Originally posted by srikrishnan
                Hi All,
                I am new to Kubuntu.
                This is my First post on this forum.
                can anybody suggest me a good Text Editor for Kubuntu OS environment, my purpose of the editor is to create and edit xml files and Perl.
                Thanks in Advance,
                Srikrishnan
                for GUI, Kate is the default in KDE and it is reasonably good to use. Only problem seems to be coping with CJK characters. It cannot handle some CJK fiiles good.

Under console, vim is the way many linux users go. it is very powerful and easy to use.

Comment

I like Kate, but for plain text formatting in preparation for HTML i tend to use Tea Editor.
                  It's in the repositories.

Comment

Hi there dibl,

Originally posted by dibl
                    I just tested kate KDE4. Sorry, it still does not remember the "recent files".
                    duh. Thanks for looking.

Funny, this bug does not exist in kate KDE 3.5 in my sidux system So it remembers recent documents for both su and user modes, separately.
                    Strange, that would suggest the bug is not in kate itself but in the integration.
                    Kwrite remembers recent files fine and it's the same engine.
                    If it keeps bugging me I could try to get the source, search the bug and compile it of course.

Greets.

Comment

I do a fair bit of Perl editing and quite enjoy using Kate.

Regarding the recent file bug in Kate - I wasn't even aware that there was a bug. All of my systems are running Gutsy and KDE 3.5.8.

Could it be that, on your systems, the value at

Settings | Configure Kate... | Editor | Open/Save | Search depth for config file:

is set to too small a value

I'm thinking that different directory structures might call for a larger value here. Just an untested thought...

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis100
                        Could it be that, on your systems, the value at
                        Settings | Configure Kate... | Editor | Open/Save | Search depth for config file:
                        is set to too small a value
                        It was 3, I tried 12, bug is still there.
                        But hey, thanks.

Comment

Oh, well...

Comment

Working...
                          X