Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PuTTY with X11 Forwarding - "User Not Authorized" (Solved)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PuTTY with X11 Forwarding - "User Not Authorized" (Solved)

I have OpenSSH on my Linux machine and I have connected to it from a Win XP machine using Putty. The only thing I can't get working is X11 forwarding. Under /etc/ssh/sshd_config I have "X11Forwarding = Yes". However, when I connect with Putty and type "startx" I get the following message:

mrmsu:~$ startx
    hostname: Unknown host
    xauth: creating new authority file /home/mrmsu/.serverauth.6102
    X: user not authorized to run the X server, aborting.
    xinit: Server error.
    Couldn't get a file descriptor referring to the console
    So, I assume I have something not set correctly. Any help in resolving this is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    sudo make me rich<br /><br />Kubuntu Gutsy 7.10<br />KDE 3.5<br />Compaq Presario 5000<br />Intel Celeron 1.2 Ghz<br />512 Ram, Riva TNT2 Video Card<br />All the above hardware is 7 year old junk but<br />Linux runs great on it.&nbsp; :&gt<br />Ham Radio Rules

Re: PuTTY with X11 Forwarding - &quot;User Not Authorized&quot;

I haven't tried running X11 forwarding through PuTTY, but I would expect you'd need X11 installed under Windows (which means Cygwin).

Ordinarily I wouldn't try and start an X server like that, either, but rather just the program I wanted to start. No idea if that's possible or not.

Comment

http://x.cygwin.com/

Comment

Xming is a good alternative to cygwin.

Also, when trying to run X through ssh, remember that the command is
        Code:
        ssh -X myserveradress
        (it is a CAPITAL X)

Code:
        ssh -x
        (is is a small x) explicitly disables X interface in the ssh session

Comment

Thanks for the link but I do have a question. If I'm running Putty from a Win XP machine, where would I type
          Code:
          ssh -x
          ? Please keep in mind that I'm not familiar with Putty so the answer may be quite obvious.

Thanks!
          sudo make me rich<br /><br />Kubuntu Gutsy 7.10<br />KDE 3.5<br />Compaq Presario 5000<br />Intel Celeron 1.2 Ghz<br />512 Ram, Riva TNT2 Video Card<br />All the above hardware is 7 year old junk but<br />Linux runs great on it.&nbsp; :&gt<br />Ham Radio Rules

Comment

Ok...I got it working by using Xming. I'm able to get a shell window and type something like "firefox" and firefox will launch. However, I can not see my desktop. Is there a way to set this up where I can see my desktop. I typed "startx" and received all sorts of "user not authorized" mumbo jumbo. I do have X11 Forarding = yes in both the /etc/ssh/sshd_config and /etc/ssh/ssh_config files.

Thanks!

Mike

Comment

first, find the right place in puTTy's configuration menu to allow X. Then,try this in the puTTy TERMINAL window once ssh -X communication is established:
              Code:
              >kicker &
              The "kicker" program should bring up a lot of the familiar KDE stuff.

EDIT: this post was edited because the information was inaccurate. Please refer to my later posts for details.

Comment

Will do. I'll give that a try when get back to the remote computer. Thanks!

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by heinkel_111
                  try this in the puTTy window:
                  Code:
                  >ssh -X yourserveradress
                  >kicker
                  The "kicker" program should bring up a lot of the familiar KDE stuff.
                  Exactly which Putty windows were you referring to? Is it (1) the Putty interface that I see after I double click the icon on my Win XP desktop? or (2) The shell window that appears after I tell Putty to login (black window, shell)?

Thanks,

Mike

Comment

I am sorry for not pointing that out clearly. It is the shell window.

EDIT: the first command ssh -X yourserver is actually what you use the PuTTy interface window to configure. There is a menu choice somewhere to allow x (ie. the -X part). When the black shell window appears the ssh -X communication should already be established, so the only command you need to type in there should be
                    Code:
                    >kicker &
                    I recommend the ampersand because then you can still get nice error messages if something crashes and use your terminal winodw for something practical while still working in the KDE/X environment as well.

I am sorry I misinformed you slighly. I was actually confusing how to use puTTy with how to log in from a remote *nix computer a little. It is several months since I used this frequently(previous job, not this one). I hope my attempted alzheimer symptoms doesn't demotivate you as this little tool can be really helpful when you get it configured right.

Comment

Thank you for the follow up. No worries on the confusion as I operate in a state of confusion 24/7. I will try your suggestion tomorrow morning when I return to my work station at my office. I'll post back the results.

Again, thank you.

Mike

Comment

I have added a "notify" for this thread so I can maybe pick up your posts a little faster in the future.

Comment

I just tried it and it works. I got the kicker panel at the bottom of my screen which let me choose programs from the K menu. Cool! It was slow but my upload speed from my home machine is not that fast anyway. This should do what I need to do. Thanks for your help!

Mike

Comment

Working...
                          X