Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Remote Desktop" My Linux Machine From a Windows XP Machine?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Remote Desktop" My Linux Machine From a Windows XP Machine?

I know what I want to do but I don't even know how to start searching for it because I do not know the Linux terminology. Basically, I want to;
    • Connect to my Linux machine at home from my Windows XP machine at my office (30 miles away)
    • Be able to see my KDE desktop from the remote computer
    • Control my Linux machine remotely just as though I was sitting there in front of it - mouse, commands, etc.
    • Access this securely via tunneling

I am running OpenSSH on my Linux machine and can access it via FileZilla (sftp) from my XP machine at work. But I would also like to be able to control my machine from my office sort of like "Remote Desktop" for Windows. I have read about X11 forwarding and I know OpenSSH supports it but I do not understand it enough to setup a connection. I tried using Putty but the connection was denied (never could find a place to enter a username or password).

So, if anyone can provide some assistance, I would be very appreciative.

Thanks!

Mike
    sudo make me rich<br /><br />Kubuntu Gutsy 7.10<br />KDE 3.5<br />Compaq Presario 5000<br />Intel Celeron 1.2 Ghz<br />512 Ram, Riva TNT2 Video Card<br />All the above hardware is 7 year old junk but<br />Linux runs great on it.&nbsp; :&gt<br />Ham Radio Rules

Re: &quot;Remote Desktop&quot; My Linux Machine From a Windows XP Machine?

I don't know if this will help, but I'll relay what I have set up on my machine. First, and this is backwards from what you want, is I VPN into my works system. This assigns me an IP address from my companies network and one that I'm familiar with. The other option (VPN into my home network from work) for me would be difficult since my home system's ISP connection is Dynamic and not Static. Anyway, I also use VINO. It is a GNOME application, but I found that it was very easy to set up and use. I run VINO after I set my VPN with work and then at work I use the IP address that was assigned to me when I connected. I use UltraVNC on XP at work and it connects great.

Hope this helps!

Comment

Found this. Don't know what it costs, if anything. Stated free trial, so it might cost, but they support Linux. Also seems more of a "Customer Support" package, but still interesting.

http://www.bomgar.com/linux/?gclid=C...FQTGsgodZSKTHQ

Comment

Thanks for the information. I also found FreeNX in the Ubuntu forums. This looks promising and I might give this a try this weekend. Does anyone have any comments about FreeNX?

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FreeNX
        sudo make me rich<br /><br />Kubuntu Gutsy 7.10<br />KDE 3.5<br />Compaq Presario 5000<br />Intel Celeron 1.2 Ghz<br />512 Ram, Riva TNT2 Video Card<br />All the above hardware is 7 year old junk but<br />Linux runs great on it.&nbsp; :&gt<br />Ham Radio Rules

Comment

I've not managed to get FreeNX to work, although, in all honesty, I've just made a quick try. I have a friend who runs it, though, and he loves it. Faster even than RDP (almost fast enough to view movies through it), and apparently very easy to setup, which he never fails to mention to me.

Well worth a spin.

Comment

Use x11vnc. It works, and is solid. I put a script in my autostart folder to start it at login, the obvious problem is that you have to be logged in to make it work this way...

If you need help let me know, because it can be a bit difficult to get all the options right...

By the way, it is in the repositories, so I think you can install with

Code:
            sudo apt-get install x11vnc
            or you can use adept.
            Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

Yep, I've been playing around with getting VINO to start at boot. I got really, really close, but there is some weird User Permissions problem I'm running into and haven't figured it out yet.

I've never heard of FreeNX, but I might take a look at it myself. Hopefully it will work at boot.

Comment

Working...
              X