comfortable with the command line.
    Recommendations invited.
    More spefically, I've got an Oasis Media Player and would like
    to copy Music CDs to it.

Thanks
    Tim

Re: .wav to .mp3 utilities recommended.

http://pacpl.sourceforge.net/

This tools is awesome. Converts just about anything to anything. Super powerful on the command line and integrates into Konqueror if you prefer a GUI. There's a .deb package too.
    Kubuntu user?&nbsp; http://kubuntuway.net<br />Do you own reptiles? Click here http://redtailconnect.net

Comment

8) Thanks for the tip. Just downloaded it.
      cheers

Comment

Personally I like soundKonverter, it's great for all batch (and individual) conversions between almost any two audio codecs. You can find it in the repos.

Comment

Audacity is pretty hard to beat, IMO.

Comment

Yeah! That's what I was trying to remember. Got it!
            Thank you.
            Tim

Comment

i have to agree with marshallbanana, soundkonverter is what i prefer also.

although, i usually recommend that ppl don't convert to mp3 unless they really need to. its an inferior proprietary format. ogg is superior & is FOSS. or better yet, i use flac, which is lossless (doesn't throw away any quality) & also FOSS.
              <br />

Comment

This is all brand new to me.... I found that I could use k3b to rip tracks from the
                CD to a local directory and then just copy the tracks as ogg files to /media/disk/
                with MC.
                -and so far as it seems, I could even create directories on the device
                (USB media player).
                Then I tried a CD - "Pure Frosting" by the Presidents of the United States of America -
                which I had purchased used thru Amazon. And this is a whole different ball game.
                It plays on a Walkman, linux doesn't recognize it, as a device, but Amarok can
                recognize and play the tracks. I put it on a windows box and explorer shows
                that they appear to be movie files (to windoze anyway). It looks like I got slipped
                a "so-called" bonus disk. I wonder if audacity on windows could extract the
                files?
                thanks
                Tim

Comment

Hi I have always used Soundkonvertor with wav to mp3 files

Had a few problems with it after I upgraded to gutsy gibbon and had to redifine my repositories to make sure I could get all the plugins I needed but it does work very well in my experience.

Running Kubuntu Karmic Koala&nbsp; with KDE 4.3 at home<br /><br />Kubuntu user 24342<br /><br />Running Dell Inspiron 530 Dual Core 3ghz<br /><br />and also running Kubuntu on a Lenovo thinkpad using a live pen drive<br /><br />Still no Microsoft here!

Comment

Working...
                  X