Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to do after install? (inc few n00b Q's)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to do after install? (inc few n00b Q's)

Hey guys,

I've just installed Kubuntu (gutsy gibbon) and initial feelings are ok - there are some things annoying me however I love KDE. My only previous experience of Linux is Linux Mint which is aimed at beginners (all plugins and tweaking is already done).
    I was trying to find some update utility since there must be quite a bit of updates just after an install. I found adept updater in /usr/bin and ran it as root. It surprisingly said nothing to update. Is this right?

Somethings I have done is edit the repositories in adept manager and enabled main, universal and multi verse so I no options are grayed out in adept installer.

About the appearance, how do I edit the layout of the notification area icons? They were previously in 2 rows but soon as I changed the wallpaper they are all in one row and bigger icons. How do I make them how they were previously?

Another, minor but annoying, issue is when I hover over desktop icons or when browsing folders, they sometime flicker? Is this normal in KDE? And also, how do I install nvidia drivers? I haven't touched anything to do with them so don't know if they are installed?

Also, is there anyway I can browse windows partition? I could do it in Linux Mint but can't seem to find it in Kubuntu.

Lastly, are there any special effect options such as Beryl?

Sorry if I'm asking some noob questions but hopefully some of you can help me
    Thanks, j.

Re: What to do after install? (inc few n00b Q's)

For Gutsy Installations:

Open Adept Manager (K Menu | System | Adept Manger) and click on Adept | Manage Repositories. On the first tab, check all items (you don't need the last item checked unless you intend to download source files for compiling). On the Third-Party Software tab uncheck/delete the cdrom repository entry. Close the window. If Adept doesn't automatically fetch updates, click on Fetch Updates. You will now have access to the thousands of available packages. If you still have problems, open a console and type:
    Code:
    sudo dpkg --configure -a
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Ok, I've done that now. And I get a list of all the packages available.
      [img width=400 height=250]http://www.kubuntuforums.net/mkportal/modules/gallery/album/a_178.jpg[/img]
      Now are all these necessary updates? If so, do I have to individually select each one to install or is there a way to select all to install?

Also, anyone help me with my other queries - customizing the layout of the notification so they are listed as two rows and also a way to browse all my windows files.

Thanks, jam.

Comment

Those are not all necessary programs/updates. After you click Fetch Updates, at the bottom of the Adept window it will tell you how many packages are available to be upgraded. In your screenshot it shows zero. If a package was ready to be upgraded you would click the Full Upgrade button, and then the Apply Changes button (although you may want to hit Preview Changes first, just to see what you're getting).

Comment

You also should try searching the forums here. I bet most of your questions have already been answered many times over...but I'm sure there are plenty of people around who will be glad to get you off on the right foot.

Comment

Working...
          X