Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[SOLVED] How to type accented characters?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] How to type accented characters?

Hello,
    I just recently bought an HP laptop, with US keyboard. It came with Vista preinstalled, and I of course installed Kubuntu on it. I have a question: being Italian, I have the need to type the accented vowels (you know, è, é, à and so on)... With Vista, I could press " Control+' " and then the vowel, to get it accented. But it doesn't work in Kubuntu (I tried 7.10 and 8.04). How can I do that?

Thanks
    Cristian

Re: How to type accented characters?

You want to use the "keyboard layout" feature of KDE. So Alt-F2 "kcontrol" with no quote marks, and click "Regional and Accessibility > Keyboard Layouts . Scroll down the "Available Layouts" to the Italy one, highlight it, and click the "Add" button to move it into the "Active Layouts" window. Then you can close the KDE control utility.

On your panel there will appear an icon for the US keyboard layout. When you click it, it will switch to Italian. From there, you are on your own.

Comment

Hi Dibl,
      Well, the fact is that the keyboard IS the US version. So it doesn't have the accented keys. With Vista, I can "emulate" the missing keys with a combination (Ctrl+' and then the vowel), and I need to do that with Kubuntu. If I just select the Italian layout, the position of many keys will not correspond anymore to the generated character...

Cristian

Comment

I haven't yet had a chance to play with this and translate it to "Kubuntu", but Gentoo-wiki.com has a post - entitled TIP Openoffice and dead keys - that supposedly helps you configure your system to associate specific dead keys to various keyboard combinations; pretty cool 8)
        Asus G1S-X3:
        Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3091037.0
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

A million thanks my friend, you've saved me from countless hours of aggravated hacking, simply trying to apply instructions posted on a Gentoo-specific wiki to Kubuntu   You wouldn't happen to know how to customize the shortcuts so I can produce a lowercase eñe ( ñ ) with Compose-`+n, instead of ǹ?  (Compose-~+n gives me Ñ, because I have to hold Shift)
            Asus G1S-X3:
            Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

You're more than welcome. Take a look here.

Comment

And take a look at the last post here.

Comment

Awesome!!! I figured it out!

Instead of holding Compose+Shift+~+n (which produces &#209, hold Compose and hit Shift+~, then let Shift+~ go and press n while still holding Compose, and you get ñ

Edit: ¡Ahora puedo escribir en español con las letras corectas!

Another Edit: ¡Estoy tan alegre!!!
                  Asus G1S-X3:

Comment

Thanks everyone! Solved it perfectly with xkb and the Compose key (which I assigned to the left Windows key, unused in Linux)!

Cristian

Comment

Re: [SOLVED] How to type accented characters?

Excellent. Happy accenting!

Comment

Working...
                      X