This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

X-server broken after Adept update

After I finally managed to install Kubuntu, I let adept run wild with all the updates, Kubuntu automatically figured out I needed the Nvidea drivers and got them for me..(nice one)... great.

I switch off and restart...no X server. cntrl F1 gets me to cmnd line. Login and try startx..nope.. tried to configure xorg and walked through the whole process, (which correctly identified my Gefrorce7600GS card), and got a black screen for couple of secs before hoofed back to cmnd login again.

Another thing I noticed was on my GRUB start menu I have:

7.10... 2.6... - Generic. Now I'm not 100% sure but I don't think the Generic addendum was there previously.

So is this a GRUB issue thats messing with X-server or a an X-server issue confusing GRUB and more importantly....how to get X-sever back up.

All the other similar threads just say reconfigure xorg and SOLVED.

Re: X-server broken after Adept update

I don't know the command off the top of my head, try using nano to look at your xorg.conf

Code:
    sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    In the very top portion it does mention a command, something like dpkg-reconfigure. exit out of nano CTRL-X and enter that command, then restart your computer

CTRL-ALT-DEL

or

Code:
    sudo reboot
    If this fails, you may have reconfigure you xorg.conf file manually using nano.

Comment

The trick, in this situation, is to configure the X server as a VESA display first, then use that to run your browser and download the Envy script installer, and then run Envy to install the Nvidia driver that you actually want.

So, boot the recovery console, or else log in normally at the CLI and
      Code:
      sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
      and do NOT let it auto-detect your card -- tell it you want "vesa" as the display type (if it asks). When it is done, you can (if you were working as root at the recovery console) issue
      Code:
      /etc/init.d/kdm start
      or if you were logged in as a user at your console issue
      Code:
      startx
      and get the GUI login.

Then use your browser to go here: http://albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html

For Gutsy you want the version on the purple "Get Envy Legacy" link. Download it and right-click the downloaded file and "Open With > Gdebi installer" to install it. When it is finished installing, there will be an icon for Envy in your System menu, and you can run it from there. Also important to remember is that when a new kernel is installed (like last night, on Hardy Heron), it will break the video driver installation and you will boot to a CLI with an error message regarding "no usable screens". At that point, you can log in and issue
      Code:
      sudo envy -t
      and Envy will run in text mode to install the driver, and you'll soon be back in business again.

Comment

Ah, Mr Dibl is in the house and the problems are getting solved...sort of.

I'v reconfigured xorg to VESA, my screen is a bit fuzzy, but at least X is up and running. Managed to install ENVY. I tried to "Install Nvidea Drivers", it failed...so I reckoned I must first uninstall my existing driver...which I did, then retried "Install Nvidea Drivers" and off ENVY went until:

.....yada yada ERROR. this text comes out of the ENVY installer log

...7 upgraded, 73 newly installed, 0 to remove and 144 not upgraded.
        Need to get 23.3MB/28.3MB of archives.
        After unpacking 75.5MB of additional disk space will be used.
        WARNING: The following packages cannot be authenticated!
        libcupsys2 libcupsys2-dev libpango1.0-common libpango1.0-0 libpango1.0-dev libqt3-headers libqt3-mt qt3-dev-tools libqt3-mt-dev
        E: There are problems and -y was used without --force-yes
        ENVY ERROR: The following packages cannot be installed:
        libqt3-mt-dev
        kernel-wedge
        rpm
        sharutils
        libgtk2.0-dev
        libxxf86misc-dev
        libxtst-dev
        libxxf86vm-dev
        libxinerama-dev

Now I've found the offending package on adept packet manager, (libqt3-mt-dev), however I don't want to just go ahead and manually install it because ENVY is not saying WHY it can't install it.

What do you reckon?

Comment

The restricted drivers manager in kubuntu sorted my Nvidia installation out.

K-Menu > system settings

Once I installed rebooted I then ran

Code:
          sudo nvidia-settings
          Changed the resolution, refresh rat e.t.c. and updated the xorg.conf file

Everything else was fine then

Comment

Originally posted by WindSpider

What do you reckon?
            I reckon something went VERY haywire in that process! The error messages are NOT from Envy, they are from Adept Manager or apt-get.

Hmmmmmmmm. I don't know what to advise, as it's not clear what went awry. Envy apparently called upon the package manager to help it get some dependent packages, and the package manager had troubles, I guess.

I guess I would attempt to repeat the process, in a text Konsole window, by issuing
            Code:
            sudo envy -t
            and observing closely how well or badly it performs that way.

Envy is designed to automatically remove all conflicting nvidia-glx or nv driver files in your system, prior to (re)installing the proprietary driver, so you do not need to manually remove anything.

Likewise, as Spiko suggests, you could potentially install nvidia-glx-new and it will sort out the conflicts automatically -- you shouldn't have to do any manual removals.

I personally have had no luck with the Restricted Driver Manager, but it works for some folks so feel free to give it a shot.

Hope this helps!

p.s. Assuming success, after the Nvidia driver is installed, it will not be configured to run glx or compositing. But that is easy to do -- open the Konsole and enter this:
            Code:
            sudo nvidia-xconfig --add-argb-glx-visuals --composite
            Then restart the X server with Ctrl-Alt-Backspace, and log in again, and to verify that you're set, open the Konsole and enter
            Code:
            glxgears
            and observe the graphic and the frames-per-second calculation.

Comment

Ok, so I've opted for the cowards way out...

Re installation

But now a touch wiser. I'll first install ENVY, then update. Then when the update breaks my driver;

sudo envy -t...on the assumption envy plays nice this time. I think I'll ask it to go fetch my driver before I update as a test.

offtopic:

I actually chose Kubuntu because I read I would have a couple of issues with it to get it stable, my other option was PCLOS, (stable as mountain apparently). This may sound silly but I actually want to learn the techie side of Linux and the best way to learn is to fix it. I can attest that I've learned a more about Linux with Kubuntu so far than I would have with PCLOS. I also read that Nvidea and Kubuntu was fun to try play nice.

I just hope I do get it stable with my G-card.

/offtopic

Meh...

After re-installation, ENVY still wont update my driver:

ENVY ERROR: The following packages cannot be installed:
              libqt3-mt-dev
              kernel-wedge
              rpm
              sharutils
              libgtk2.0-dev
              libxxf86misc-dev
              libxtst-dev
              libxxf86vm-dev
              libxinerama-dev

so I'm going to try intall each manually??.

Actually on the ENVY options you can manually install a driver, (haven't touched it yet), it has got version 169.12 as default, but also 96.43.05 and 71.86.04 a options. Anyone tried a diverent version with success?

Comment

SOLVED - It was Adept...He dunnit

Thats right...IT WAS ADEPT!!

Basically I was manually installing the missing packages with adept, one by one. I saw an error message on the first one, (libqt3-mt-dev), Adept could download it...just not commit it. Same with second and third. I saw a patten emerge .

So I figured WTF and --> console sudo apt-get install synaptic (not chancing adept).

Synaptic has no problem downloading AND COMMITING the package. After all the missing packages were installed I ran ENVY...damd thing works and I am now on my new driver, (restarted twice to make sure it was cool).

don't know what Adepts problem was, nor care...Synaptic is now packet manager.

SOLVED.

Comment

Cool! That's good to hear.

I cannot figure out why some folks have so much trouble with Adept Manager. Fintan and some others on this Forum swear by Synaptic and won't touch Adept. I, on the other hand, blunder along using the Adept Notifier and the Adept Updater and Adept Manager and have never had a problem with them. Usually when they won't commit a change, it is because there is a lag in the synchronization of the mirror servers, and usually it will commit 24 hours later. So, I dunno what that's all about.

I previously had a 7900GS card, and the 7186 driver ran it just fine, but since the 169-12 driver is backward compatible, it's probably the best choice available today. 9643 is for the Rivas or some of the non-GeForce cards, if I remember correctly - I've never used it.

Good job, Windy!

Comment

Hi! My name is Etienne... I am a new Linux user - I installed Kubuntu 7.10 in February after all my years of using Microsoft Windows... Thus I am at quite a loss as to how to fix my problems...

I also have a problem with my graphics: After installing Kubuntu, I also updated my drivers with Adept, but I have an older computer and NO 3D graphics card - I have a SiS 650 inbuilt graphics card.

Now, my problem is with video files. I have the latest version of the win32 Codecs installed, but I cannot play video files in Kaffein or in VLC.

Could anyone help me with my predicament? I would really appreciate any pointers as to how to solve this...

Thanks!

Comment

Welcome, Etienne!

I'm afraid the Linux support for your SIS chip doesn't look very promising:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...hlight=sis+650

If you search Ubuntu Forum, there are some other postings about it, but I couldn't find a report of great success. It looks like the "VESA" display is about all you can do with it.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
                        I cannot figure out why some folks have so much trouble with Adept Manager. Fintan and some others on this Forum swear by Synaptic and won't touch Adept. I, on the other hand, blunder along using the Adept Notifier and the Adept Updater and Adept Manager and have never had a problem with them. Usually when they won't commit a change, it is because there is a lag in the synchronization of the mirror servers, and usually it will commit 24 hours later. So, I dunno what that's all about.
                        Well, I like having my changes commited

I have seriously considered recompiling Adept so that the Notifier would run Synaptic instead of Adept Updater. It's (unfortunately) hardcoded, but changing only one line and compiling would do that. I still might do that some time.
                        The Nomad's Land - some Linux humor too

Comment

Originally posted by Nomad

I have seriously considered recompiling Adept so that the Notifier would run Synaptic instead of Adept Updater. It's (unfortunately) hardcoded, but changing only one line and compiling would do that. I still might do that some time.
                          Wow, you are a braver and obviously more skilled practitioner than I!

But, in the distros I have run that come with Synaptic (e-live, Mepis) you can just click the "Fetch" button and have the updates appear. Or not click, for us lazy types.

On the other hand, you're probably not the only one who would like a "Synaptic Notifier", so maybe you've got a product idea there!

Comment

Working...
                          X