This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Create a partition after os installation

Hi there! Is there a program like partition magic in windows that will allow me to create a new partition? During installation i only created one partition and i would like to create a new one only for my data in case something goes wrong with kubuntu.

Re: Create a partition after os installation

I've had best luck by burning a gparted boot cd and partitioning that way. Go to the gparted website to get the iso. It should be fairly simple to create a new partition. I'm not sure about moving your /home folder and setting it up to work, though. I'm sure it can be done, but I don't know how involved the process is.

Comment

GParted: http://gparted.sourceforge.net/

You can do major rearrangements using GParted Live CD.
      You will have to re-size existing partition(s). Probably shrink your existing Kubuntu partition.

Remember, you can only have 3 primary partitions PLUS an Extended partition. Inside the Extended partition, you can have many Logical partitions (11?), and a Logical partition acts like a primary partition.

How To partition, Rog131:
      http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3090704.0

When you are done, you will probably have to edit /etc/fstab and maybe change some UUIDs in /etc/fstab and in /boot/grub/menu.lst.

When you first re-boot after changing partitions, you may get a message "Unable to resolve UUID=etc..." and if so, press Enter, then Control+D, then Enter if necessary again, and you should boot into your Kubuntu OS again.
      It's always a good idea to have things on hand in case there's problems--
      Super Grub Disk live CD:
      Super Grub Disk, new site: http://supergrub.forjamari.linex.org/
      (it can help you boot into Kubuntu if there's a problem doing so normally)

Not a real big deal, though--many of us do it everyday (well, maybe not everyday but maybe every month or so, anyway )

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

another good resource is www.sysresccd.org

Comment

While we are at it, I added a bunch of disks to one of my machines. Two of them worked nicely, but the third disk had previously been partitioned to two partitions.

Here's the problem: I couldn't find a way inside Kubuntu to remove those partitions and create one big partition instead. I could format them to whatever file system I liked, but I couldn't rearrange them.

Suggestions?

Comment

Sure -- this might work (haven't tried it personally) ....

In the Konsole:

Code:
            sudo apt-get install gparted
            Code:
            kdesudo gparted
            And re-partition it as you wish.

Comment

kennethmsmith: "another good resource is www.sysresccd.org"

also, Knoppix Live CD (free)
              and your own Kubuntu live CD
              An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Ok i did things according to this article http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/separatehome. Everything seemed to have gone ok BUT after reboot KDE4 won't start. I'll get a message like the plasma workspace crashed! I tried to login in KDE 3.5 and everything seems ok. My hard drives are there and the new home partition working. However i lost all my bookmarks from Firefox and all the mails in Thunderbird. I checked the home_backup folder and the new home and the old is bigger than the new. Obviously not everything has been backed up. I checked for the Firefox and Thunderbird folders and in the home_backup everything was there but it was missing from the new home partition. What my have went wrong and why won't KDE 4 start?

Comment

No experience with KDE4, and am not sure about all details here that you are facing, BUT, for sure, you CAN find your old profiles for T-Bird and FX, right? by hook or by crook?
                  Then deal with restoring the emails and bookmarks later, following mozilla's FAQ on handling profiles? (I would have those profiles copied off onto flash drive, myself...)

Comment

Working...
                  X