This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firefox 2.xxxx won't open on KDE, will on gnome

I am using Ubuntu 7.10 64-bit. I installed the kubuntu desktop and the KDE apps. I like it, bit have one major issue. Fireefox will not load. I click on it and it flashes up briefly, but then shuts down. I tried swiftweasel, but it did the same thing. Interestingly, Firefox 3.xx beta will work. However, I don't want to switch just yet since my wife uses the computer and the current FF plugins.

Anybody have an answer for this?
    Running Ubuntu 8.04

Re: Firefox 2.xxxx won't open on KDE, will on gnome

make sure you're executing the firefox launch script (by default: /usr/lib/firefox/firefox) & not the firefox binary (/usr/lib/firefox/firefox-bin).

if that won't work, try launcing it (the firefox launch script) from command line to troubleshoot the issue. post it here if you need more help.
    <br />

Comment

I am a newbie. Can you give me a step by step. I have a firefox icon on the bottom panel that I press to try to get firefox.
      Running Ubuntu 8.04

Comment

1. open a terminal (like konsole).
        2. type: /usr/lib/firefox/firefox
        3. post the output of that command here.
        <br />

Comment

OK, here it is:

natibo@natibo-desktop:~$ /usr/lib/firefox/firefox

(gecko:15078): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_widget_get_parent_window: assertion `GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed

(gecko:15078): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_window_is_viewable: assertion `window != NULL' failed

(gecko:15078): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_widget_get_parent: assertion `GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed
          Segmentation fault (core dumped)
          natibo@natibo-desktop:~$

Running Ubuntu 8.04

Comment

hmmm....well its obviously a gtk error. but i don't really know what any of that means.
            i would post this over at the mozillazine forum. its more likely you'd receive a useful response there.
            <br />

Comment

Working...
            X