This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A couple of software problems...

Hello, I'm a new linux user and I've found Kubuntu to be the best looking that I've tried so far and I'm enjoying it a lot, and as my laptop died I decided to move over to Kubuntu on a temporary PC whilst I search for a new laptop (which might in the end also have Kub installed too!!!)...

I do use Windows a lot (whilst working, my job needed to use mostly XP with a smattering of 98 and 2000), but Vista was the last straw and it's stick with XP and give Microshaft the boot aswell as migrate to Linux...

Anyway, the problems;

First off, YouTube, sometimes it's fine (a bit stuttery but that's probably due tot he 256mb of ram!!!) but most of the time all I get is a grey box, no controls or video window, just a grey box, the video is playing as I can hear it, but seeing it is impossible even if I reload the page...

Wine: It crashes the system (Well, anything Windowsy would!!!), again it could be the ram, but I was told that Linux doesn't need much to run smoothly...

There was a third issue with Adept (Database was always locked), but a quick search of the forum before I registered found a fix and it's been sorted...

System details (just incase):
    Via M10000 Mini-ITX board with 1GHz Via C3 CPU embedded
    256MB DDR-266
    Seagate 40GB 2.5" HDD
    Via Rhine (I think) NIC integrated
    Via UniChrome graphics (Shared memory)
    Packard bell Multimedia Keyboard Model No. 9203 (works well)
    15" AOC Spectrum 5EIr CRT
    Mouse (nothing fancy)

Re: A couple of software problems...

Dude, did you install flash? If not, install it please. There is a list of packages that you might want to install in order for the video to work. just make a quick look at add and remove programs. Once install it would be a breeze.

Pookito
    You can get me Using Threema: B6WSCFVY
    Mastodon: @pookito@latinos.social
    Jabber: pookito@neko.im

Comment

Have a look here for your media stuff:
      http://www.medibuntu.org/

especially the repository howto.

I would seriously suggest upgrading your ram to at least 512mb. RAM is cheap now a days.

Linux as in the kernel does run with very little resources.
      A gui desktop (kde) and various media stuff are a different matter all together.
      They are hungry little creatures and want to be fed

You can tweek how much resources your box uses but with "only" 256mb RAM your leeway is limited.
      HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
      4 GB Ram
      Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Originally posted by pookito
        Dude, did you install flash? If not, install it please. There is a list of packages that you might want to install in order for the video to work. just make a quick look at add and remove programs. Once install it would be a breeze.

Pookito
        Yep, flash is definitely installed, it was installed on demand and I just checked Adept and it's installed...

Originally posted by Fintan
        Have a look here for your media stuff:
        http://www.medibuntu.org/

especially the repository howto.

I would seriously suggest upgrading your ram to at least 512mb. RAM is cheap now a days.

Linux as in the kernel does run with very little resources.
        A gui desktop (kde) and various media stuff are a different matter all together.
        They are hungry little creatures and want to be fed

You can tweek how much resources your box uses but with "only" 256mb RAM your leeway is limited.
        Thanks, I'll take a look at that site sometime today...

I do want to upgrade, but my money's very limited at the moment, even if a stick of ram's cheap I can't afford it at the moment...

Annoyingly though, my other Mini-ITX board (Epia 5000) HAS 512MB, but it's SD PC133, so it's not compatible...

Comment

Well, it looks like Konqueror doesn't like YouTube, I tried FireFox this evening and youtube worked fine (although the playback was a bit stuttery, probably the ram issue again). Also, I downloaded and installed the latest Flash player from Adobe (major headache for someone used to using MS-DOS commands!!!) and Konqueror still didn't work properly...

I was just getting used to it too!!!

Still not figured out WINE though...

Comment

Originally posted by twocvbloke
            Well, it looks like Konqueror doesn't like YouTube, I tried FireFox this evening and youtube worked fine (although the playback was a bit stuttery, probably the ram issue again). Also, I downloaded and installed the latest Flash player from Adobe (major headache for someone used to using MS-DOS commands!!!) and Konqueror still didn't work properly... I was just getting used to it too!!! Still not figured out WINE though...
            Hi again, I've been there. . At this point you will only need to add the flash player to konqueror and youtube, google video will work just fine on konqueror. At this time the way to do it, if I remember correctly, is to open konqueror and go to settings on the menu bar. Once the configure window open, go to the plugin section on the left all the way to the bottom. on the right side you are going to notice a frame that will say, "Netscape Plugins" hit the "scan for New Plugins" button in the scan tab, and Konqueror web browser should be playing youtube videos in no time.

The Wine software is a little harder to explain. The way that I make it work is by typing "winefile" and then double click on the windows software that I downloaded and it does install it for me. I hope that helps
            You can get me Using Threema: B6WSCFVY
            Mastodon: @pookito@latinos.social
            Jabber: pookito@neko.im

Comment

Working...
            X