This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Setting Permissions For Remote Access Via OpenSSH

I want to allow a few people to have remote access to my PC via OpenSSH. They will be using a client like FileZilla for secure ftp encrypted connections. I have read through the Kubuntu "How To" regarding setting up folder permissions to groups and users but seem to be doing something wrong. To date, this is what I have done:

(1) Added another user to my Linux machine via Kubuntu's user accounts.
    (2) Setup a folder for this user to access.
    (3) Tweaked permissions per several guides I found on the web.

I can login remotely using the new, non-root, user account. However, once I get logged in, I have complete root access! I can browse to every file on my computer even those the permissions on this account are set to prevent this. Obviously, I am doing something wrong.

Should permissions be controlled with OpenSSH instead? I'm looking for some advice on how to get multiple user accounts with restricted access setup correctly.

Thanks,

Mike
    sudo make me rich<br /><br />Kubuntu Gutsy 7.10<br />KDE 3.5<br />Compaq Presario 5000<br />Intel Celeron 1.2 Ghz<br />512 Ram, Riva TNT2 Video Card<br />All the above hardware is 7 year old junk but<br />Linux runs great on it.&nbsp; :&gt<br />Ham Radio Rules

Re: Setting Permissions For Remote Access Via OpenSSH

Here's one fairly involved way that I ran across: http://www.minstrel.org.uk/papers/sftp/

Comment

Thank you. Here is a great one that I found myself. I actually used sftp to set my folder's permissions remotely under my root login. This site also explains what all the numbers and letter mean like "chown 755" and drwx-wx-wx which is usually shown out by the file name when browsing with ftp or Konqueror.

http://www.elated.com/articles/under...g-permissions/

I'm still working on getting all my permissions set correctly. I'll update this thread with my results.

Thanks!

Mike

sudo make me rich<br /><br />Kubuntu Gutsy 7.10<br />KDE 3.5<br />Compaq Presario 5000<br />Intel Celeron 1.2 Ghz<br />512 Ram, Riva TNT2 Video Card<br />All the above hardware is 7 year old junk but<br />Linux runs great on it.&nbsp; :&gt<br />Ham Radio Rules

Comment

Ok...I'm making some progress here. The two links helped but I'm still missing something. Basically, I'm confused as to what piece of software determines user's rights. Is it OpenSSH (via the config file) or is it Linux (via commands like "chmod 700" and such)?

A little help again?

Comment

Working...
        X