This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Kernel "2.6.22-14-Generic" Correct?

When booting, the kernel is listed as "2.6.22-14-Generic". Is the "Generic" term indicating that I am using a version of the kernel that was not the standard kernel released with Kubuntu 7.10? I noticed the "generic" term after I installed PCLinuxOS on a different drive/partition which overwrote my grub menu which I had to repair. I assumed I repaired it correctly but I'm not sure.

Running "uman -r" in console gives this output:
    mrm@closet:~$ uname -r
    2.6.22-14-generic

My system's performance seems very sluggish so I'm wondering if this could be part of the problem.

Thanks,

Mike
    sudo make me rich<br /><br />Kubuntu Gutsy 7.10<br />KDE 3.5<br />Compaq Presario 5000<br />Intel Celeron 1.2 Ghz<br />512 Ram, Riva TNT2 Video Card<br />All the above hardware is 7 year old junk but<br />Linux runs great on it.&nbsp; :&gt<br />Ham Radio Rules

Re: Is Kernel &quot;2.6.22-14-Generic&quot; Correct?

Code:
    dibl@cville:~$ uname -a
    Linux cville 2.6.24-12-generic #1 SMP Wed Mar 12 22:31:43 UTC 2008 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    No, you didn't mess it up. They've been using "generic" for the kernel for about a year now, because there got to be so many "flavors" of it. If you look in Adept Manager, you will see there are also kernels for special purposes, like server, RT, and Xen. Basically, if you're not certain that you want a special-purpose kernel, then you want "generic".

If you think it's running slow, you might review this:

http://rudd-o.com/archives/2007/10/0...w-to-fix-that/

Comment

Working...
    X