This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED]Choppy Full Screen Video on ATI RADEON MOBILITY X700

Hello everyone, I tried searching for this issue before posting, but couldn't find any topics that related close enough to the issue I'm having. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated .

I have an acer TravelMate 4400 laptop with an ati Radeon Mobility X700 video card. I have the fglrx driver installed and running.

Here is the output from fglrxinfo:

display: :1.0 screen: 0
    OpenGL vendor string: Mesa project: www.mesa3d.org
    OpenGL renderer string: Mesa GLX Indirect
    OpenGL version string: 1.2 (2.1 Mesa 7.0.1)

I am also running compiz-fusion, which runs perfectly smoothly, and I have tried fullscreen video without it running as well, and it has the same issue. I am a linux n00b as well, so I am not sure if there is any other info you might need to help me diagnose and fix this issue.

P.S. I also tried re-nicing the process as well, and it had no effect.

I uninstalled compiz-fusion and the problem went away. Either a bug, or my video card is just too slow for compiz-fusion to be used.

Re: Choppy Full Screen Video on ATI RADEON MOBILITY X700

You may want to check and see if you are using the correct driver. You can obtain the Proprietary Linux driver for you video card from AMD's home page.

ATI Catalyst™ 8.3 Proprietary Linux x86 Display Driver
    ATI Catalyst™ 8.3 Proprietary Linux x86_64 Display Driver For Intel® EM64T and AMD64 Platform Architecture
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

i have a pci-e nvidia geforce 8500gt. I have the same problem. If I watch a video on youtube I can see it without any problems unless I make it fullscreen. If I make it full screen the frame-rate drops below 23fps. It's annoying because I'm a newbie in Linux and in Windows I didn't have this problem. This won't make me return to Windows, but I'd like to understand how this can be solved.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
        You may want to check and see if you are using the correct driver. You can obtain the Proprietary Linux driver for you video card from AMD's home page.

ATI Catalyst™ 8.3 Proprietary Linux x86 Display Driver
        ATI Catalyst™ 8.3 Proprietary Linux x86_64 Display Driver For Intel® EM64T and AMD64 Platform Architecture
        Yes I downloaded that driver and installed it before I installed compiz-fusion. If it helps any; I have tried all the different output plugins, as well as other video players, and they all have the same problem.

Comment

HOWTO: Install and use the Envy script installer for video drivers

Ensure that you are running the correct Linux driver for your nVidia card.
          Windows no longer obstructs my view.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
          X