Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Making A Backup Image Of My Linux Machine To A Network Storage Device (Solved)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Making A Backup Image Of My Linux Machine To A Network Storage Device

You might find insight here.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I am still having zero luck here. I believe I'm entering the command correctly but nothing really happens. Here is the command along with the output. What does this mean?

mrms@closet:/$ sudo dd if=/dev/sdb2 of=/mnt/mediavault/FileShare/hda2image.img bs=4096 conv=notrunc,noerror
      0+1 records in
      0+1 records out
      1024 bytes (1.0 kB) copied, 2.87364 seconds, 0.4 kB/s
      mrms@closet:/$

I read the links you and others suggested but I guess I'm just thick skulled because none of this is soaking in . All help is appreciated.

Mike
      sudo make me rich<br /><br />Kubuntu Gutsy 7.10<br />KDE 3.5<br />Compaq Presario 5000<br />Intel Celeron 1.2 Ghz<br />512 Ram, Riva TNT2 Video Card<br />All the above hardware is 7 year old junk but<br />Linux runs great on it.&nbsp; :&gt<br />Ham Radio Rules

Comment

Hey Mike -

I personally would be very concerned about data integrity with transfering 28 gigs over wireless.

Seriously - get yourself a nice long network cable - run it to your hub, and make your image - then put the cable away till next time.

Wireless is a great option for browsing - and maybe downloading a few .deb files here and there, but for data integrity - you really should use hardwire. I would hope that DI is a concern to you in this case - you are after all talking about a BACKUP here.

Hope this makes sense

Kilroy

Comment

That's a good point but my HP Media Vault makes back up copies / images of my Windows PCs via wireless and all has been flawless. I will say that I've not had a need to restore an OS from one of those images but all the data checks indicate that the copies are perfect.

I'm not really affraid to use wireless to backup anything but I will try your suggestion of running a cable. Heck, I might even just run a cable for a permanent connection. Again, thanks for the help and I'll update this thread if I make progress.

Mike
          sudo make me rich<br /><br />Kubuntu Gutsy 7.10<br />KDE 3.5<br />Compaq Presario 5000<br />Intel Celeron 1.2 Ghz<br />512 Ram, Riva TNT2 Video Card<br />All the above hardware is 7 year old junk but<br />Linux runs great on it.&nbsp; :&gt<br />Ham Radio Rules

Comment

0+1 records in
            0+1 records out
            1024 bytes (1.0 kB) copied, 2.87364 seconds, 0.4 kB/s

Your dd command is OK (BUT may not be what is called for in network backups), but I don't know what's going on here and have no experience with wireless or networks (but did notice that AwesomeMachine makes a big deal out of network imaging).

Your dd only copied 1024 bytes (a record is bs=4096 bytes, so that's zero records and 1 partial record of 1024 bytes). Now wasn't that helpful! ... Sorry, I'm a simple old-fashioned desktop-PC guy -- all wires and no network.
            An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Yes..very helpful!

Well, I'm purchasing some CAT-5 cable today and will run a wire directly from my machine to my NAS. Hopefully, that will solve my issues. If not, I'm going to set my PC on fire. 8)

Mike

Comment

Ok..making progress here. I purchased a CAT-5 cable and installed it. Everything is connected by wires - no more wireless.

I dropped my System Rescue Disc in my drive and rebooted which then boots from that disc. From that disc, I configured my eth0 connection (ethernet connection), mounted my media vault by doing the following:

mkdir /mnt/FileShare
                mount -t nfs 192.168.2.103:/shares/Volume1/FileShare /mnt/FileShare

all mounted fine and I was able to perform "cd /mnt/Fileshare" then list its contents so I know it is mounted correctly.

I decided to use Partimage to make an image. I ran through the setup and then typed:

partimage save /dev/sda2 /mnt/FileShare/KubuntuImage.pimg.gz (all of this per an example I found on the partimage wiki). A setup screen appeared, some routines were ran, searches were performed (at this point I know I'm making good progress) then....an error. The partimage program informed my that the "Kubuntuimage.pizmg.gz" file was locked so I could not write to it. Of course it should not be locked as it is new and never before been used/opened/etc...What does this mean? How do I resolve this?

I've never used partimage (obviously) so I could use some help.

Thanks,

Mike

Comment

I don't know Partimage, and it seems not many of our members do either. I sent this to someone to look at but (1) it's bedtime in that time zone, and (2) tomorrow may be an Easter holiday-shopping day for his family, so I don't even know if he'll see this.
                  Looks like some of us should learn this stuff ... Who will go first?
                  Sorry I can't help with Partimage, Mike.
                  An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

No problem. You've already helped me a lot. Once I figure this out I'll gather up all that I have learned and make a "How To 4 Noobs". That is, if I can ever figure this out.

BTW, I tried the dd command again and got the same results as I did with a wireless connection. It must be something that I am doing. Maybe I should type standing up or use my left hand only? :P

Comment

I don't know what your backup parameters are as I'm jumping in late on this thread. A couple of hints from using Partimage for the last ~3 years:

1. You can't run a Partimage backup against your current operating system partition... (cannot dismount the partition - not a limitation of Partimage, that's the way things are...).
                      2. I have found trying to use Partimage in a batch setting problematic at best. My suggestion is to go to the terminal level and
                      Code:
                      $ sudo partimage
                      That will get you into the partimage shell (semi-gui and much more intuitive).

Hope this helps.
                      IndyTim

Comment

Thanks for the reply, IndyTim. I have been trying to use Partimage from a Live CD upon booting up so there are no drives/partitions mounted. Also, I'm not trying to run a batch. Just a single partition from a single drive and only once.

I understand that there is a partimage server called "PartimageD" that needs to be running on the computer I plan on sending the image file to via the network. Is this a true statement? Does the partimagd server have to be up and running? My problem is that my remote computer that I'm trying to save this image to is actually and HP Media Vault which is a NAS. It is not an actual computer that I can load programs onto. However, it does have an ftp server on it.

All help is appreciated.

Mike

Comment

Bingo!!!!!

I finally got an image to backup to my Media Vault! I asked for and received help from the Media Vault user's group of which "Lee" monitors. Lee happens to be the retired system architect for the HP Media Vault and was responsible for it's development. If anyone would know, he would.

I was actually mounting my share incorrectly. I was mounting it just like I have it setup in my fstab file which apparently is not needed. I was also trying to use NFS which is supported by the Media Vault but so is Samba and Lee recommended that I try Samba. Below are his mount directions:

1. mkdir /mnt/samba
                          2. mount -t smbfs //192.168.0.1/FileShare /mnt/samba
                          3. partimage save /dev/sda1 /mnt/samba/backup-of-sda1.pimg.gz

The only difference for me was that I used my own IP address for my Media Vault. However, upon executing the mount command I was asked for a password. Being that I was operating from a Live CD I had not setup a password nor was the FileShare directory password protected. This confused me. Luckly, I remembered that during the booting of the System Rescue CD that it mentions using the password "passwd" which I tried. Apparently, this is the default root password with the System Rescue CD. "passwd" was accepted and the image backup began!

Oh, one more thing - this was much, much, much easier to do with a wired connection. I might be able to do it wirelessly now but I think the wired connections work better.

Should I make a step-by-step "How To Make An Image Using System Rescue CD"?

Thanks to all who helped!!

Mike
                          -Lee

Comment

Re: Making A Backup Image Of My Linux Machine To A Network Storage Device (Solved)

Congratulations! I know how it feels when a troublesum problem gets resolved. So, did you do the 'happy dance?'
                            Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Re: Making A Backup Image Of My Linux Machine To A Network Storage Device (Solve

Interesting.

“Luckly, I remembered that during the booting of the System Rescue CD that it mentions using the password "passwd" which I tried. “

When using Knoppix Live CD, if you get a request for a PW, you must go set one for root (in an obvious System setup menu off the K-menu). No one would guess that unless you read the FAQ!

Now, I wonder if the dd method would also work? Over wired with proper mounting?

Thanks for this feedback, and glad you got it.
                              Yes, a how-to would be useful to others going down this road, especially since there's been a lot of talk around here about backups, Partimage, etc.

Go get yourself a 70+% cocoa chocolate Easter Bunny ... and a cold beer.

Comment

Re: Making A Backup Image Of My Linux Machine To A Network Storage Device (Solve

Indeed - I did the River Dance outside in front of my house. Luckily, the cop that showed up used Linux so he understood.

The "dd" method never did work for me even with a wired connection. I still do not know why but as long as Partimage works then I won't need to know. I will keep it in the back of my mind just in case I figure something out.

I'll put together a "How To For Noobs" later. For now, bring on the chocolate, beer, and March Madness (Go MS State Bulldogs!!!)

Mike

Comment

Working...
                                X