This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting Sage Accounting Software to work in WINE

Has anybody else managed to get this working ? If so, could you please explain how you managed to get it working.

I have a dual boot system but would like to get rid of Microsoft Windows.

Re: Getting Sage Accounting Software to work in WINE

This looks like the Wine evaluation of SAGE. http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...rsion&iId=7111.

Perhaps a better solution would be to install a virtual machine like VirtualBox. You can run a fully working copy of windows from within Kubuntu and install most windows programs without them being crippled.

It's fairly easy, and it removes a lot of reasons for dual-booting.

Comment

Thanks for your response, if I install virtual box does it mean I need to install windows into Virtual Box or will it just run windows based programs within itself.

I want to run Linux without any versions of windows on my system, I hoped wine would be the solution but it does not seem to work.

One thing I have noticed is I also have Dreamweaver and when previewing a webpage with the wine installed version of IE it always shows a blank page, the same seems to be the case for the start screen of Sage.

Comment

Wine isn't the 'end all' to Windoze. Wine won't run every Windoze application out there. If you opt to us a VM (virtual machine) to install/run Windoze, then Virtual Box and/or VMWare's Player may be the way to go. I use VMWare Player, installed in Kubuntu Gutsy (7.10), to run my full version of Windoze XP Professional. I do this because I still need Quicken for my finances (I have not yet found a Linux replacement that I really like). After installing VMWare Player, I was finally able to completely remove Windoze Vista from my PC, and other than WinXP being run as a virtual machine, I am Windoze free.
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks for the advice, at this stage I think I will continue with my dual boot system until I have learnt a bit more about Linux. I have only been using it for 4-5 days. However, I must say I am extremely impressed so far !

I shall stay hopeful that one day I will be able to run Sage Accounting in Linux without needing a dual boot system or anything else.

Comment

Working...
          X