This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE 4.0 >> KDE 4.0.1

I recently installed KDE 4.0 and tried it out: apart from some features I could use running from KDE 3.5 (?? - don't know exactly which version I am using, but it is the standard one that Kubuntu 7.10 is using) it simply did not work - gave me a black screen after login.
    Sooooo, I read about removing KDE4.0 again in this forum: just followed the guidelines, ran into exact the same problem, installed the Kubuntu desktop, and was up and running again about 10 minutes after starting the whole procedure. Great!
    Of course this tastes for more! So I wonder, since there already is an upgrade to KDE4.0, how do I install this upgrade?? I added "deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-members-kde4/ubuntu gutsy main" to "/etc/apt/sources.list", but will this not install the KDE4 again??

Are you Microsoft's slave, or do you master Linux?

Re: KDE 4.0 >> KDE 4.0.1

If you want to try KDE 4, and still keep your KDE 3.5.x desktop, consider installing only kde4-core. Follow the information in claydoh's post.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Ah, ok, so just install the core only!
      But, will I get the latest version (4.0.1) even though I did not change the /etc/apt/sources.list file??

Furthermore, I read about installing the different Ubuntu desktop environments next to each other, to be selected at startup like with KDE3/4. Wouldn't mind testing this out and trying the other desktops. How should I proceed with installing those?
      Are you Microsoft's slave, or do you master Linux?

Comment

Ah, ok, so just install the core only!
        But, will I get the latest version (4.0.1) even though I did not change the /etc/apt/sources.list
        Actually if you go into adept and do a search for kde4-core you will find that the version is 4.0.2 as of today

You might want to install:
        extragear-plasma (for more widgets)

and other stuff once you get used to it.

remeber that kde4 ist still indevelopement until kde4.1 (this summer) it is stable on my machine and I have been using it 90% of the time.
        So, enjoy

As for other desktops:
        http://ubuntulinuxhowto.blogspot.com...r-desktop.html
        HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
        4 GB Ram
        Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

I must admit, i'm trying hard to like KDE 4, but i prefer KDE 3.9, at least, at the moment... but this may change....

I didn't like it at all until i found out how to get rid of that awful black thing.

I'm not at all sure that it does anything more that i actually need than KDE 3.9, which i've now got set up exactly the way i like it (especially now that i've found that using Konqueror as an FTP client is as easy as browsing the HD!)

I'll probably stick with KDE 3.9 for the forseeable future, and just play with KDE 4.0.x and try whatever updates there are as they appear.

Yes, i know.... Luddite.

Comment

Originally posted by aged hippy
            I'll probably stick with KDE 3.9 for the forseeable future, and just play with KDE 4.0.x and try whatever updates there are as they appear.

Yes, i know.... Luddite.
            "The Luddites were a social movement of British textile artisans in the early nineteenth century who protested — often by destroying mechanized looms - against the changes produced by the Industrial Revolution, which they felt threatened their livelihood."

Not at all. Hey, I understand completely. Not everyone has the desire, let alone the need, to "keep up with the Jones's." If you have a working system, and it does everything you want, why upgrade just because "it's the latest thing, and everyone else is doing it?"

I've installed kde4-core, but rarely have I elected to start up in KDE4. KDE 3.5.9 works just fine for me thank you very much. Besides, I run Compiz as my WM with Gutsy. Time will tell if I will opt to go with KDE4.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
            X