X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

screen display scambled

Machine:
    Amd Athlon64-3800+ 2.4ghz, 80gb Sata Hdd, 1 GB. MSI K9VK6M-V mb with integrated video and sound. HP MX70-17" Monitor(crt)
    Fully update 7:10
    With this configuration, no matter what monitor I use, the screen resolution setting that is done on power up is always to high. The resolution for the above monitor is always set at 1280 x 960. This is not what I wanted for the 17" monitor. When I tried to changed it to 1024 x 768, which is normal for this screen size, it did not change. When I restarted the computer, it goes to the desktop, (I know this because of the sound tone) the display is all scrambled, broad bands and lines.
    I shut down manually( can not see to shut down normally.) I started back up in safe mode. I am not very good yet with commands, but tried one that I read about. StartX took me to somewhere, again the display is scrambled. I did the cont/alt/backspace which took me back to safe mode screen. Below is some of the important information that was listed on the screen.

default setting: Log File:"var/log/xorg.0.log
    using config file: ect/x11/xorg.conf"
    (11) Module already built In
    (EE) AIGLX: Screen 0 is not Dri capable
    Xinit: Connection to X server is lost.

Note: this happened to me once before and the only way that I could get out this mess, was to completely re-install. Which I don't want to do if you all can help. Another note is that no matter what monitor that I tried previously, as a example, A 15" monitor was installed by 7:10 at a higher resolution of 1024 x 768, which is not normal for that screen size, I also could not change the resolution to a lower setting.

I am pretty new at Linux, so any and all help is appreciated to get unscrambled with out re-installing.. Thanks

Re: screen display scambled

You probably need to reconfigure the x-server. Open a console and type:
    Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I did the command line reconfigure and it got me back to viewable desktop. I still can not change resolution to 1024 x 768. It seems to want to stay on the 1280 x 960. Is there a way to not have the higher resolution be the defaul?

thanks again.

Comment

When you ran the configuration, what resolutions did you select? If you only select those that you know your monitor is capable of displaying, you won't have the problem.

Comment

Snowhog,

I went into root and the config file ect/x11/xorg.config and edited it , I found the high 1280x960 which was on of four listed, the next highest was 1024x768 which is whatI wanted, I deleted the 1280x960, restarted and the 1024x768 came up.
          Thanks Snowhog, everyday I can learn more from others and further enjoy using Kubuntu..

Badgolfer64

Comment

Glad that you got it squared away. Plenty of good information can be found here in the Forum, so be sure to search on any issue you may have. If you can't find an answer, or have questions, don't hesitate to post.

Welcome to the Kubuntu Forums!

Comment

Working...
            X