This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Default Applications

Is there a place to make a particular application the default for certain file types. Example default apps for: MP3, JPEGs, MPEGs, HTMLs. Thanks in advance.

Re: Default Applications

Hi Dennis,

in the KDE Control Center (available with the command "kcontrol") go to
    "KDE Components"->"File Associations"
    and enter the filename extension in the field "Find filename pattern". There you can change default application settings for different file types. This only applies to KDE applications though!

For Firefox (and other applications that use the freedesktop.org standard way), you can adjust the default application settings in ~/.local/share/applications/defaults.list. The systemwide settings are configured in /usr/share/applications/defaults.list for those applications.

hth

Daniel

Comment

If you Right Click on, say, an MP3 file and choose "Properties". On the first tab should be a button after the "Type" line. Click that button. In "Application Preference Order" you can choose or add what is the "Default" application you want to open said file type. Hope this help.

Comment

Thanks .......... both of you. I now feel a bit dumb I couldn't figure that out myself.

Dennis

Comment

Don't 'feel dumb I couldn't figure that out myself.' Learning the ins and outs of any specific Linux OS is challenging. And what works in one Linux OS isn't a guarantee that it will work in another.

Welcome to Linux!
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by DennisOS2
            Thanks .......... both of you. I now feel a bit dumb I couldn't figure that out myself.

Dennis
            No need to feel that way. Only way to learn is ask. As Snowhog said - Welcome!

Comment

Working...
            X