Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Message could not be added to the folder, possibly disk space is low.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi All! When I try to open my K Mail this is the warning I get:
    and K Mail closes right away.
    I NEED my K Mail fix!
    HELP!
    What do I do?

Re: Message could not be added to the folder, possibly disk space is low.

Check you available disk space. You can probably do this quite easily in Dolphin or Konqueror, but these kind of things I personally have always solved by typing the following into a konsole terminal window:
    Code:
    df -h
    You should get a text table output showing the names of your partitions and what is left of free space for each partition: Here is an example
    Code:
    proveklot@bundushatur:~$ df -h
    Filesystem      Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/sda3       9,8G 3,0G 6,9G 31% /
    varrun        2,0G 140K 2,0G  1% /var/run
    varlock        2,0G   0 2,0G  0% /var/lock
    udev         2,0G 100K 2,0G  1% /dev
    devshm        2,0G   0 2,0G  0% /dev/shm
    /dev/sda5       12G  50M  12G  1% /boot
    /dev/sda1       9,8G 8,6G 1,3G 88% /media/sda1
    /dev/sda4       35G  30G 4,6G 87% /media/sda4
    /dev/sdb1       59G  31G  29G 52% /media/sdb1
    /dev/sdb2       92G  70G  23G 76% /home
    /dev/sdb5       9,4G  33M 9,3G  1% /media/sdb5
    In this list I can see that my partitions have some more space available. If one of your partitions are close to 100% full (fifth column) or is very small and there is very little space available (fourth column) then the problem may be related to a full disk.
    Can you please perform these tests and report back?

Comment

Hi, I will try it tonight , I hope. Seems that when I rebooted I now can not get past the log in screen and I thought no kmail was bad! I put in my password and the user name/password screen comes back. Now what? I was reading some posts and it might be an update related problem? Need to spend more time on it. Got my cd to reload and I thought I was O. K. but still no joy!
      Thanks for your help, will try it tonight. M

Comment

Hi, Sorry I took so long getting back to you. I did not try this after all. I actually just gave up. Could not log into the kubuntu, would put in my password and it brought me right back to the log in screen. This is just way to unuser friendly for me at this time. M$ wins for me I am afraid.

Comment

If you boot into recovery mode (second option in the Boot Menu list) you will end up at a command line prompt as root. If you will then type the command, as heinkel_111 suggested, and post the results, we will almost assuredly be able to help you past this, as the most likely problem is you have used all of your available disk space for your Kubuntu installation.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

can not log into Kubuntu 7.10 for your PC

Hi Snowhog, I have not been around the forum lately as time is not enough for anything. I would like to try to use kubuntu tho. When I put in my password and click the arrow, the computer checks it out and comes back to the user id and password screen, am not getting past that screen.
            Any thoughts on this? I would like to try to get kubuntu up and running again but I can't even log in! Thanks, M

Comment

Re: can not log into Kubuntu 7.10 for your PC

Originally posted by MikFinkel
              When I put in my password and click the arrow,
              ?? Just type in your password and press the Enter key.

Comment

Re: can not log into Kubuntu 7.10 for your PC

Originally posted by MikFinkel
                When I put in my password and click the arrow, the computer checks it out and comes back to the user id and password screen, am not getting past that screen.
                I am no expert but I have read on this forum what you describe can be caused by a harddisk that is full.
                My advice would be to start kubuntu in safe mode and check out your harddisk space, delete some stuff if nessacery.
                Greetings from Groningen Netherlands

Comment

If diskspace is the problem, then as Jean stated, boot into safe mode (Recovery). Once at the command line prompt (you will be running as sudo) type:
                  Code:
                  df -hTxtmpfs
                  This will generate a listing like this:
                  Filesystem Type Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
                  /dev/sda3 ext3 7.9G 2.7G 4.8G 37% /
                  /dev/sda7 ext3 20G 186M 19G 1% /home
                  /dev/sda1 ext3 7.9G 2.8G 4.9G 37% /media/sda1
                  /dev/sda2 ext3 7.9G 3.0G 4.6G 40% /media/sda2
                  /dev/sda5 ext3 20G 2.6G 18G 13% /media/sda5
                  /dev/sda6 ext3 20G 6.6G 13G 36% /media/sda6
                  What you are looking for is the amount of space on your root partition that is in Use%. If it shows 100% then you need to, as Jean said, remove unneeded files from your root partition. The quickest way to do this, is to remove unneeded packages (.deb files) that were previously downloaded, but that apt-get no longer needs. Type:
                  Code:
                  apt-get autoclean
                  Then, rerun df -hTxtmpfs and see how much space is now available on the root partition.

Comment

Working...
                  X