X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: System freeze....need help with diagnostics

Originally posted by heinkel_111

I know there may be hardware problems on my systems, but my computer's memory is far less corrupted compared to my own :P
    Heh heh heh -- yep, I hear that!

Hmmm, well, if it's a user's KDE session, there's a pretty straightforward way to deal with it. As the problem user:

Code:
    mv /home/heinkel/.kde /home/henkel/.kde_old
    and then restart the X server with Ctrl-Alt-Backspace, and log in. That should initiate a new .kde folder for the troubled user. Possibly the problem will be gone.

Comment

mmmmyess but don't you loose a whole lot of precious gems you have worked up over time and stored in the deepest vaults of the .kde reserves?

I briefly remember having gone through a similar exercise once and spending quite some time (that time too :P) hacking out remains of my kmail setup. I may be able to do that again, but (my memory problems again :P) I cannot remember which other application settings need to be copied!

Comment

Re: [SOLVED]System freeze....need help with diagnostics

OK i gave up and moved the .kde folder. Now there is a lot of things I can't access and quite a lot of pieces to pick up but at least I can browse the web again with konqi by my side

WTF konqi! Did you just eat my bookmarks?

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRFG and my wallet too?

Comment

Yes, I do believe you will have the pleasure of re-setting all KDE apps and the kwallet.

If it's any consolation, the contents of the old .kde folder may be helpful.

Comment

I know, but it is kinda dangerous too. Somewhere in there lurks the bane of Konqui

Funny enough, in my earlier troubleshooting I renamed the bookmarks file. That had no apparent effect, konqueror still stalled my system when I tried to load a webpage.

Now I copied the bookmarks file into the new .kde folder and then suddenly I had recreated my problem..

Code:
            rm -r .kde
            and start all over again.

I will give priority to digikam and Kmail and let the other ones heal themselves, I think.

Comment

I removed the [SOLVED] tag because I managed to recreate the problem.
              After I moved my mail settings and mail folders over to the new .kde, I opened a new mail and klicked a link inside.

Then I got another system freeze.

If I interpret what happens correctly (at least this is a hypothesis):
              The defect component may be the DCOP which is responsible for passing messages to and from KDE applications? I click a link in Kmail, Kmail should then instruct Konqueror to open the link and the freeze is is a fact. It could be konqueror itself, of course, but why can't I re-establish these problems on another account then.

The applications which have been involved in freeze-ups are all kde applications: konqueror, gwenview, amarok, kmail.

I am puzzled by this

Comment

When I run konqueror from console I get this error message:
                ASSERT: "!icon.isEmpty()" in /build/buildd/kdebase-3.5.8/./libkonq/konq_pixmapprovider.cc (81)
                ASSERT: "!icon.isEmpty()" in /build/buildd/kdebase-3.5.8/./libkonq/konq_pixmapprovider.cc (81)

and when konqueror crashes so hard that it freezes the system, I can't access the console anymore but it gets a lot more of the same message.

Also, the same message appears in a high count in .xsession-errors, which I tried watching with a tail - f in another konsole window.

Googling around I found some stuff on this, but no real explanation of what it is and a solution. Disabling local cache should function as a workaround for konqueror but I seriously doubt it clears the other problems I observed (Kmail, Gwenview, DigiKam, Konversation...)

Comment

Searched launchpad and found a bug which may match: Konqueror works only when run as root

My contribution is posted in this comment (link)

For the lazy ones:

I have been working on a system freeze up related to konqueror all day, and I think this may be the reason for it.
                  I have tried a lot of hypotheses of my own making and some with a little help from my friends at kubuntuforums.net.
                  Please see this thread for more information on my error-searching and fixing attemtps: http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3091920.0

There might be something related to the local cache because the first time I opened konqueror AND SURFED THE WEB after after i did
                  mv .kde .kde_old
                  I could run konqueror fine.
                  The second time, however, the system freeze was back.

I then noticed that I got a particular errormessage in .xsession-errors:
                  Code:
                  Next, I tried running konqueror from a konsole window.
                  I get the same error message repeatedly in that window, it just scrolls until I loose count of how many times (ie. when loading www.kde.org, for example.
                  This typically would result in a system freeze but by disabling local cache it appears that the system does not freeze up anymore, however it does still report the error messages (umpteen times) when loading www.kde.org.

I suggest that the bug be renamed to provide more intuitive information, ie contain part of the errormessage at least....

Comment

Working...
                  X