Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why not Realplayer in Firefox 64bit. Not solved.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why not Realplayer in Firefox 64bit.

Originally posted by dibl
    OK, I think I'm outta gas on this one -- only partial success, I'm afraid.
    dibl thanks for your time and effort on this issue. Unfortunalely I've been away for a few days. Sorry. I installed Realplayer from the website just as you did. The 'nphelix.so nphelix.xpt' plugins are listed in '/usr/lib/firefox/plugins' and '/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins' BUT ARE NOT in aboutlugins in Firefox. I created a symbolic link for them to '/usr/lib/firefox/components' still no plugin in Firefox. I have no other multimedia plugins currently just flash and icedtea. So how come you have RealPlayer in your Firefox and I don't? What am I doing wrong?
    Thanks,<br />popatopalous<br />Kubuntu 7.10 x86_64 : AMD64 X2 4800+ : 4x1GB DDR2 800 : GeForce 6150 256MB : ASUS M2NPV-VM : HD-2x320GB

Comment

Originally posted by popatopalous

So how come you have RealPlayer in your Firefox and I don't? What am I doing wrong?
      No, I have not made it clear for you, sorry. Let me try to explain.

I have installed the RealPlayer player, from their download file. It is installed in a folder on my Desktop. I do not have a plugin for the browser.

For the experiment that I did, I first opened the player (RealPlayer ver. 10.0.0) on my Desktop. Then I used Firefox to click the music stream at http://www.rte.ie/radio/index.html . Firefox presented me a download window, but I just left it. Pretty soon, the player began to play the music stream.

It's a little clunky, but it works.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
        Originally posted by popatopalous

So how come you have RealPlayer in your Firefox and I don't? What am I doing wrong?
        No, I have not made it clear for you, sorry. Let me try to explain.

I have installed the RealPlayer player, from their download file. It is installed in a folder on my Desktop. I do not have a plugin for the browser.

For the experiment that I did, I first opened the player (RealPlayer ver. 10.0.0) on my Desktop. Then I used Firefox to click the music stream at http://www.rte.ie/radio/index.html . Firefox presented me a download window, but I just left it. Pretty soon, the player began to play the music stream.

It's a little clunky, but it works.
        Ah,ha. And thanks again. FWIW I curerently have 3 Firefox plugins IcedTea Java, Flash non-free, and MPlayer. I finally remembered something. An application doesn't have to be listed to be used by embedded media in Firefox. First you have to edit >Edit>Preferences>Content>File Types>Manage so the appropriate file types point to Realplayer [in my case /usr/local/RealPlayer/realplay] and then remove the mplayer rm plugins:

Code:
        /usr/lib/firefox/plugins$ sudo rm -v mplayerplug-in-rm.so
        removed `mplayerplug-in-rm.so'
        /usr/lib/firefox/plugins$ sudo rm -v mplayerplug-in-rm.xpt
        removed `mplayerplug-in-rm.xpt'
        Then when I select something in RTE I get the dialog box with the option 'Open with /usr/local/Realplayer/realplay'. In BBC you have to select 'launch in stand alone player' and you will get same dialog box. You can also select 'Do this automatically from now on'.

How can I undo the 'do this automatically from now on' part if I want to?
        Thanks,<br />popatopalous<br />Kubuntu 7.10 x86_64 : AMD64 X2 4800+ : 4x1GB DDR2 800 : GeForce 6150 256MB : ASUS M2NPV-VM : HD-2x320GB

Comment

Re: Why not Realplayer in Firefox 64bit. Not solved.

What once was solved is now a problem. There is now Realplayer 11 for Linux which I have installed as more sites were ceasing to function with RealPlayer 10. [World of Linux never even got RealPlayer 10.5!]. I can play BBC and some other sites if I "launch in stand alone player". However the RTE site will just say that you need to install RealPlayer which is already installed. This goes back to the Ubuntu/Kubuntu [64 bit?] problem of Firefox [and nspluginwrapper] not recognizing 'nphelix.so' and 'nphelix.so' plugins even though they are in at least 4 files:

/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins
          /usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins
          /usr/lib/firefox/plugins
          /usr/lib64/firefox/plugins

Is there any way to fix this?
          FWIW mplayerplug-in will play the RTE site but I would like to get RealPlayer plugin in Firefox. Realplayer plugin DOES work in some other distros like Mandriva 2008.1 64 bit and Suse 10.3 64 bit.

Comment

What I am specifically refering to is this:

Code:
            # nspluginwrapper -u /usr/local/RealPlayer/mozilla/nphelix.so
            nspluginwrapper: /usr/local/RealPlayer/mozilla/nphelix.so is not a valid nspluginwrapper plugin
            # nspluginwrapper -u /usr/local/RealPlayer/mozilla/nphelix.xpt
            nspluginwrapper: /usr/local/RealPlayer/mozilla/nphelix.xpt is not a valid nspluginwrapper plugin
            That should work. It does work in some other Linux 64 bit distros. How can we get this to work In Kubuntu 7.10 x86_64?

Comment

Creating symbolic links doesn't work either:

Code:
              # ln -s /usr/local/RealPlayer/mozilla/nphelix.so /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/nphelix.so 
              # ln -s /usr/local/RealPlayer/mozilla/nphelix.so /usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins/nphelix.so
              # ln -s /usr/local/RealPlayer/mozilla/nphelix.so /usr/lib/firefox/plugins/nphelix.so
              # ln -s /usr/local/RealPlayer/mozilla/nphelix.so /usr/lib64/firefox/plugins/nphelix.so
              # ln -s /usr/local/RealPlayer/mozilla/nphelix.xpt /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/nphelix.xpt 
              # ln -s /usr/local/RealPlayer/mozilla/nphelix.xpt /usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins/nphelix.xpt
              # ln -s /usr/local/RealPlayer/mozilla/nphelix.xpt /usr/lib/firefox/plugins/nphelix.xpt
              # ln -s /usr/local/RealPlayer/mozilla/nphelix.xpt /usr/lib64/firefox/plugins/nphelix.xpt
              So I have 'nphelix.so' and 'nphelix.so' in correct files [maybe in to many files but...] but they don't work in Firefox. Since this, meaning nspluginwrapper not symbolic links which shouldn't be necessary, works in other distros and not in Kubuntu must be a bug?

Comment

Working...
              X