This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TrueType (TTF) font partially installed, but not working

I have an issue with KDE and its handling of TrueType fonts--hopefully someone here can help, it's been quite frustrating!

I wanted to use Helvetica Ultra Compressed, so I downloaded the .ttf file and proceeded to install it system-wide with the KDE Control Center's Font plugin. So far so good, the font showed up as installed, but here's where the odd things started to happen. When I went to configure the Banner screensaver to use the newly installed font, the preview inside of the font selection dialog would work (the banner text was rendered with Helvetica Ultra Compressed), but as soon as I clicked OK on the dialog, the preview would change fonts into some sort of weird sans-seriff font that was NOT Helvetica by any means! Same with the actual screensaver--same odd sans-seriff font instead of my Helvetica.

So I figured I should test out the font in a different application. When I fired up OpenOffice Writer, the font showed up as completely blank. No little boxes, no text of any kind, just blank.

I have tried many variations of various commands that are supposed to update the font cache, etc. to no avail. From what I understand, this is supposed to "just work"! Any ideas?

BTW this problem occurs with any TrueType font that I try to add to the system. For some reason, the MS Core fonts work OK when installed with Aptitude, but I have had no luck with any other TrueType fonts.

Thanks!
    Satisfied Kubuntu Hardy 8.04 [KDE3] user...

Re: TrueType (TTF) font partially installed, but not working

Bump! Am I really on my own here?
    Satisfied Kubuntu Hardy 8.04 [KDE3] user...

Comment

Working...
    X