This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Updates borked my system....--(Solved)--

Last night i believe there were some updates to do with kernel headers and langauge packs and this morning GRUB is refusing to boot into Kubuntu. I get a error 17: cannot mount selected partition.
    Kubuntu Gutsy Gibbon - Registered Linux User--> # 15709

Re: Updates borked my system....

From Qqmikes HOW TO: GRUB Methods - Toolkit

----- 17: GRUB Error 17: Cannot mount selected partition
    This error is returned if the partition requested exists, but the filesystem type cannot be recognized by GRUB.
    Take our example:
    title Boot by configfile--Kubuntu 7.10 sdb5
    root (hd1,4)
    configfile /boot/grub/menu.lst

Now suppose instead of root (hd1,4) it reads root (hd0,0), and suppose Windows XP is on (hd0,0). So you are sending GRUB to (hd0,0) to use a GRUB configfile command. It won't work! You'll get error 17 every time. (Windows does not support such a command.)
    Reboot from a LiveCD (or into another OS if you are multi-booting) and examine the /boot/grub/menu.lst file for any changes that point to the wrong partition.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Everything seems ok. My Kubuntu drive is the first boot device so thats hd1.

title Ubuntu 7.10, kernel 2.6.22-14-generic
      root (hd1,0)
      kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-generic root=UUID=96aa6e2e-bfe4-4de2-81f7-971ca6f2f656 ro quiet splash
      initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.22-14-generic
      quiet

title Ubuntu 7.10, kernel 2.6.22-14-generic (recovery mode)
      root (hd1,0)
      kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-generic root=UUID=96aa6e2e-bfe4-4de2-81f7-971ca6f2f656 ro single
      initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.22-14-generic

Comment

Originally posted by b0uncyfr0

My Kubuntu drive is the first boot device so thats hd1.
        Ummmmmmmm --- I don't think so. First drive = hd0.

Try pushing "e" on the boot menu with the drive highlighted, change "hd1" to "hd0", do a return and press "b" to boot it.

Comment

Thanks dibl that worked perfectly. But how did it change in the first place? Thats just weird..

Comment

Just blame it on the (rare) Diblite
            Windows no longer obstructs my view.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I can see some people are putting a [SOLVED] or *Solved* tag in their subject when the problem is solved. Why is this tag so rare?

How to tag:
              The author of the thread, must modify the first message by manually editing the subject title.

Of course.. I don't know if the author of this thread is satisfied with the answer ;-)

I think the [SOLVED] tag in the subject title would make the forum system more efficient for helping people who need help.

To all thread authors, consider using this tag. You can always start a new thread being more specific about an unanswered question, which rarely is the same as the original subject title.
              Check out my Ⓥegan youtube channel PlantSugar
              CV and gallery at grn.dk
              Please add [SOLVED] to topic subject when topic is solved.

Comment

Re: Updates borked my system....--(Solved)--

Ahh sorry guys i thought i had already put the *Solved * tag up. Ma Bad.

Comment

Working...
                X