Clear All

Where is System - Preferences?

I keep on seeing mentioned things like:

Now go to system->preferences->sound
    -make sure system sounds are enabled
    -enable sound server startup
    -enable sounds for events
    -system bell > sound an audible bell

But I don't have such an entry in the System tab on the KMenu or anywhere else. I also see mentioning of 'enable software mixing' also being in the famous preferences, but not here.
    I got a 'System Settings' menu entry, but that does not contain those items.

Thanks for helping.
    Jean.
    Greetings from Groningen Netherlands

Re: Where is System - Preferences?

You're likely following a guide that was not written for kde (the desktop environment in kubuntu), but for some other desktop environment (gnome/ubuntu or xfce/xubuntu, for example).

You can usually find similar settings in System Settings (but you may have to search for a bit)

You can also ask for kde specific instructions here (the kubuntuforums are KDE-centric) or other forums (remember to mention you're using kubuntu/kde)

Comment

Ok thanks, that's clear.

So do you know where for instance the setting 'enable software mixing' should be found?

Or a forum to ask for specific linux sound questions as I understand it's kind of a hazzle.

I would like to get alsa working, and I would like to be able to have the soundcard be used by more then one program at a time. When I try to use alsa i get I error message: audioSubSystem::handleIO: write failed etc.

Greets from Groningen, Netherlands

Comment

Well in system settings you should have a sound and a notifications section.
        Then you should have kmix (should be in kmenu->multimedia) which you can configure.
        There also is alsamixergui which you can install with adept/synaptic or apt-get.
        Also, make sure you have alsa installed by searching for it in adept/synaptic.

Hope this points you in the right direction.

I am not a sound expert but could you post the specs on your sound card?
        Maybe someone else with more sound experience can help more.
        HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
        4 GB Ram
        Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Thanks.

I can see the notification and the sound settings yes, but I'm missing options like 'enable software mixing' talked about in other posts.
          I have alsa installed, as well as the alsamixer (and alsamixergui), kmix too. If I set 'select master channel' in kmix to 'Analog Front' the volume sliders in audioplayers start to work, but it does not stick inbetween boots.

Output from cat /proc/asound/cards:
          0 [CA0106]: CA0106 - CA0106 Live! 7.1 24bit [SB0410] at 0x1040 irq 20
          It's a plain soundblaster some 2 years old.

There's a big thread here, unfortunnatley is is a bit outdated, but it describes most of the problems I'm having: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=44753

I found a linux sound oriented forum here http://northernsounds.com/ as I would like to use rosegarden, music production software, if I get linux working with sound properly and I posted there too but did not get replies yet.

Mostly I'm doing fine with linux so far, compared to windows it's sometimes a little step back, sometimes one forward, but what I've read on sound issues, could be the reason for going back and wait another year or so for linux to clean up that mess. I can live with a dual boot for windows gaming but not for a simple thing as a system sound, a volume slider and shutting down a music player evertime something else wants to emit a sound.

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
          X