This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

open office

When I try and use the word processor the fonts are screwed up, what I type is normal but the functions are all unreadable in sqare 00000, I took a snap shot but gimp wouldn't paste it, I pasted it into .odt but not much use there.

I searched and found an answer that said remove openoffice and install openoffice.org-gtk.

I removed the word and then
    Originally posted by konsole
    sudo apt-get install openoffice.org-gtk
    ...|less|...
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    The following NEW packages will be installed:
    openoffice.org-gtk
    0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    Need to get 182kB of archives.
    After unpacking 573kB of additional disk space will be used.
    Get:1 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com gutsy-updates/main openoffi -1ubuntu5.3 [182kB]
    Fetched 182kB in 1s (112kB/s)
    Selecting previously deselected package openoffice.org-gtk.
    (Reading database ... 111528 files and directories currently i
    Unpacking openoffice.org-gtk (from .../openoffice.org-gtk_1%3a 386.deb) ...
    Setting up openoffice.org-gtk (1:2.3.0-1ubuntu5.3) ...

if I type openoffice in konsole it just brings up drawing, and I don't find it in the menu. Is it really installed?

the spread sheet is fine, just need to figure out word.

tia for any help.

Bob
    [img width=400 height=138]http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/7460/rigsigeo0.jpg[/img]

Re: open office

Originally posted by RJ Hythloday

if I type openoffice in konsole it just brings up drawing, and I don't find it in the menu. Is it really installed?
    Odd that it opens Drawing, for me the "openoffice" command just brings open a blank OpenOffice window from which then one can create a new Text Document, Spreadsheet etc etc. Point is though that OpenOffice isn't composed of different programs in the traditional sense; can't say I know terribly much about what goes on in the background of OpenOffice but I know at least that it runs Writer and etc all from a single executable, the switch just differs; for example, to run Writer from Konsole you'd run "openoffice -writer". So yeah, if it's loading Drawing then I'd expect that Writer is installed, but you can check just by running it with the right switch for Writer.

It's doubly odd that it isn't creating menu icons for you, though, which makes me suspect a larger problem...for one, I'd try just removing it ALL with "apt-get purge", just to be paranoidly sure (maybe use Adept to double-check that you've uninstalled all the OpenOffice-related packages), and then when you reinstall, make sure you have openoffice.org-kde installed, and/or try installing openoffice.org-gnome (myself I have neither the GTK nor Gnome packages installed, though).

Also, maybe it's a font issue?

...unfortunately that's all the help I can give, I'm much more of a KOffice guy myself, heh. I really do love it, and it definitely integrates better into Kubuntu/KDE than OpenOffice does, regardless of OpenOffice being the default these days (it's a bit buggier than OpenOffice internally, but it's never frustrated me in the same ways that OpenOffice sometimes does...like your problem here, heh). Definitely give it a shot if OpenOffice is being too stubborn! This problem sounds very much like the kind of one that using a native app would solve.

Comment

...for one, I'd try just removing it ALL with "apt-get purge"
      Just a note on this, if you do in fact purge openoffice, check to make sure that you don't uninstall the kubuntu-desktop package. Or that if it does uninstall, make sure you reinstall afterwards. I have read posts in which the kubuntu-desktop package uninstalls when purging openoffice.
      Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals ... except the weasel.

Comment

I read about it removing the desktop, but only part of it that is used for oo0 . I tried removing and installing gtk and ended up w/ the default one again, but I can now read all of the menu toolbar text so I geuss all is good.
        [img width=400 height=138]http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/7460/rigsigeo0.jpg[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by RJ Hythloday
          I read about it removing the desktop, but only part of it that is used for oo0 . I tried removing and installing gtk and ended up w/ the default one again, but I can now read all of the menu toolbar text so I geuss all is good.
          Cool, kinda mysterious but it's good to know it's working for you now

Comment

Working...
          X