This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

apt-get confusion and problems with purging

Am still learning my way around Linux, and I'm in over my head a bit with a couple of matters which appear related.

For reasons I don't need to ge into, I used "locate:7zip" in Konqueror to find all references in the filesystem to 7zip-related files. I deleted them. (I.e., no recovery possible.) THEN I thought better of having done this, and discovered that I could have done an uninstall through adept. I tried that (the "remove" function), but it didn't work. I got an error message:

Could not commit changes

There was an error committing changes. There was possibly a problem downloading some packages, or else the commit would break packages.

The same thing resulted from an attempt to "purge" it. This didn't much make sense to me, so I tried sudo apt-get purge p7zipfull in a console. This also produced an error message:

E: The package hl1440lpr needs to be reinstalled, but I can't find an archive for it.

That package turns out to be part of an earlier failed attempt to use the debian installer to install printer drivers for my Brother printer! So, I tried to purge that, after "locate:"ing it, and this too failed. I then deleted the files found, which didn't help change anything.

Getting the printer drivers installed is a separate problem, on which I'm also working. How do I clean up the failed driver (hl1440lpr) install, and then the p7zipfull mess?

I tried everything apt-get seems to offer, and I'm out of ideas.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Re: apt-get confusion and problems with purging

I noticed a similar problem with adept...check out this link and maybe try dibl's advice.

Bye

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...80.0;topicseen
    I break it, therefore I learn it.<br />

Comment

Working...
    X