This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Backport software

I'm just wondering, how safe is it to upgrade programs using the backports? Do you guys use the backports much.

Re: Backport software

I'm not positive which of my applications are from the backports repository, but I haven't had any issues. I'm pretty sure you won't run across any unsafe software as long as you stick with the repos included by default.
    Asus G1S-X3:
    Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Thanks! I think I'll give them a try.

Comment

What you do risk is getting a less stable system because the backporting isn't tested as rigorously as the "normal" release. I have had this issue with Amarok, in particular, that it works perfectly after a Kubuntu release but then as new version starts filtering in via backports I get more and more crashes. (And these usually include total system lockup so it is really annoying.)
        My solution is not to use backports unless really needed.

Comment

Originally posted by heinkel_111
          What you do risk is getting a less stable system because the backporting isn't tested as rigorously as the "normal" release. I have had this issue with Amarok, in particular, that it works perfectly after a Kubuntu release but then as new version starts filtering in via backports I get more and more crashes. (And these usually include total system lockup so it is really annoying.)
          My solution is not to use backports unless really needed.
          Maybe I won't try them after all

Comment

Working...
          X