This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there a way to speed up shutdown?

Just curious. Is there anyway to safely speed up shutdown? Does anybody have any idea why it takes as long as it does?

Thanks in advance,

wmrobins

Re: Is there a way to speed up shutdown?

You could try disabling any services you don't need from "KMenu -> System Settings -> Advanced tab -> System Services".
    Asus G1S-X3:
    Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Originally posted by wmrobins

Does anybody have any idea why it takes as long as it does?
      Linux closes running processes and open files and verifies the integrity of the filesystem on its way down, unlike some other OS's you may have heard of.

For a faster shutdown experience, you might try setting up "Suspend to RAM" if you have decent memory and swap space.

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3091141.0

Comment

Thanks for the responses. I think I'll try both of your suggestions.

wmrobins

Comment

Out of interest why is the shutdown time a concern? Startup, yes, but normally you can just set your computer to shutdown and leave it.
          I am running Ubuntu 8.10 (yes Gnome) with upgrades applied daily about 0900 UK time. Hardware is Dell Precision 420, 2x 800 MHz PIII, 512 MB RDRAM, nVidia GeForce 6800 128 MB AGP graphics, 18GB SCSI and 500GB IDE HDDs, DVD burner, Hauppage TV card.

Comment

Working...
          X