Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SOLVED: 2008-02-04 updates messed with KMix!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SOLVED: 2008-02-04 updates messed with KMix!

The package updates on 2008-02-04 (February 4th) messed up the functioning of KMix! The application is still installed (Adept Manager says so). sudo find -name kmix* reports all the files are present. KMix -Sound Mixer is present in K Menu | Mulitmedia but, no working sound. The system tray icon has a red X on it. Put your mouse cursor on the icon and it reports: "KMixer cannot be found"

The packages that were included in the update notification:
    linux-headers-2.6.22-14
    linux-headers-2.6.22-14-generic
    linux-image-2.6.22-14-generic
    linux-libc-dev
    The problem didn't present itself after the download/installation of the updates. It wasn't until I had shutdown my system and restarted it this morning that this became apparent. Rog131 provided me the content of his $PATH environment variable. He also downloaded/installed the same updates, but he had not yet restarted his system. His $PATH content reflects his user home directory as part of the PATH. Mine does not. I tested using the backup copy of the kernel that was made, but that made no difference. So something else within the updated packages has corrupted the way the $PATH is created - IMO. No other installed program is affected (as far as I can tell).

Has anyone else experienced problems after last nights updates?? Did anyone else loose working sound?

EDITED: 2008-02-05 08:28pm
    Never mind! User error. :P On February 2, 2008, I had downloaded and recompiled the ALSA drivers. I apparently made a minor mistake when configuring the driver - I forgot to include the --with-cards=hda-intel option!! I recompiled the ALSA driver, library, and utility files, rebooted and VOILA! KMix is working again and I have sound!

Lesson learned: Check carefully what you have typed before you hit the enter key!
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes
Working...
X